Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware rollback/forward

superlative
Dabbler

Firmware rollback/forward

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me find out how to get the firmware on my router either rolled back to the last stable version or rolled forwards to the engineering release I've read about in some threads on here.

We've been having lots of problems with our WiFi connection for the last couple of months, and having done some Googling this week it sounds very similar to what Xemic described in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-Hub-One-Firmware-update/td-p/1569597 and which other people have also been reporting.

We are using a Plusnet Hub One with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1, last updated 12/10/18

For a couple of months, starting with our phones but now affecting other devices too, we have been getting randomly booted from the WiFi. The router always looks fine, the light stays blue and everything, it just kicks you off, or it looks like you're still connected on the device but you no longer receive any data. Eventually it starts working again, only to recur a while later. Rebooting the router does sort of help in that you can reconnect afterwards, but it doesn't stop it happening a short while later.

I've tried scanning for channel interference but we're in a detached house and there aren't any other signals even in range. Nothing else about my setup has changed so I'm wondering if it is indeed an effect of this firmware version, as the timing does seem to fit too.

Can someone help me to try to get it changed to the newer version to see if that improves it? It's driving us up the wall.

Many thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Firmware rollback/forward

Hi @superlative, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community Forums.

Just to check - Are you by any chance using any Kindle devices purchased around the time this issue started? -Owen

superlative
Dabbler

Hi Owen,

I'm not, no. I've got one very old Kindle from years ago that I still use, but it's WiFi is never switched on. I only turn it on when I buy a new book and then I turn it straight back off again, so it's hardly ever on.
superlative
Dabbler

I did buy a Nintendo Switch late this summer if that's possibly of any relevance? It's always on, in sleep mode, so is quite possibly connected to the WiFi.

Best wishes,
Simon

UPDATE: It's not the Switch actually. I turned it all the way off today and two devices have been bumped off the WiFi regardless (my smart TV and an Echo). It's weird, because they still list as connected in the router control panel, but they themselves say they've got no connection and can't do anything, while other devices connected at the same time carry on working fine.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @superlative 

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your router. 

We have two options available here - we can arrange a downgrade to the previous firmware, or, if you agree ten we can upgrade you to an Engineering build that is currently in testing. 

Which would you like to do? 

Let us know and we can progress forward accordingly with this.

Thanks,

MoR 

superlative
Dabbler

Hi @MasterOfReality

I'm happy to try the Engineering build so I can let you know if it resolves the issue if that's not too much trouble? 

Best wishes,

Simon

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @superlative,

I have sent a request to our products team to update the firmware to our engineering build. Please allow up to 24 hours for it to be upgraded then check your software version and let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
superlative
Dabbler

Hi @Jubby,

My firmware version hasn't changed yet. Is there anything else I need to do? I've tried restarting the router.

Many thanks,
Simon
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Simon.

We're currently experiencing an issue with the hardware management platform, which we use to push a firmware update out. Once that's is sorted, we'll update your router as soon as we can.

Let us know how things look towards the end of the week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@superlative, I've upgraded you to a pre-release build. Can you keep an eye on things and let me know how you get on?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

superlative
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen

Thank you for doing this. We've been using the newer firmware for a few days now, but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference to the issues we are experiencing. We're still finding that devices get randomly booted from the network (while others stay connected), or if they're not booted completely they just stop receiving any data via the WiFi. This then persists on that device for a while, and sometimes you have to reboot the device or reboot the router entirely.

If there's anything else you know of we can try then I'll happily do so.

Best wishes,
Simon
superlative
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen

Our connection is worse than ever now - the router is always connected but devices stop receiving data more and more often, or get bumped off the WiFi connection completely.

Is it possible to go back to the earlier version of the firmware (the one before the latest full release)? We're struggling to use the internet at all right now.

Best wishes,
Simon