Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewalls

FIXED
davycrockett
Hooked

Firewalls

I noticed from my router settings that there is a firewall enabled. This is in addition to my zonealarm firewall. What's the difference between those two firewalls and are they both necessary?

Apologies if for this naive question.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Firewalls

@davycrockett, welcome to the forum. You only really need one Firewall and for me that would be the one in the router. Zone Alarm is just wasting your clock cycles, and re-doing work that is already done at the router Having said that if you feel more 'secure' running both then why not.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Router firewalls are generally hardware based whilst Zonealarm’s will be software. I would keep both running. See here for more detail. https://www.nortonsecurityonline.com/security-center/how-does-firewall-work.html 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Link fixed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

davycrockett
Hooked

Thanks for the feedback - I'll probably keep both running and hope there is no conflict between the two of them.

By the way the Norton link doesn't work.

Baldrick1

Fix

As one is hardware and the other software based there will be no conflict. I can't work out why the link doesn't work. If you do a Google search for 'How does a firewall work' it will direct you to this address, where it will work.

Moderator and Customer

davycrockett
Hooked

Got the link through google search (can't think why I didn't do that in the first place!) - interesting read about the firewalls.

Baldrick1

@Strat

Where did I go wrong with this link? What I did was copy and paste the address from my browser address field.

Moderator and Customer

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There was a space at the end of the URL @Baldrick1. It happens quite often with posted links.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine