cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall Issues - Looking for another router

bsmith1
Dabbler

Firewall Issues - Looking for another router

So i thought this would be simple, allow access to an FTP server inside my lan, but its not at all.

I have the firewall off on the plusnet side and setup a new "game"  for FTPAccess (ftp)  port 21-21 to Inside_device port 21

I can access the ftp server without issue when accessing in from inside my lan.

And plusnet support do not support port forwards, so much for "we'll do you proud"

I am using Plusnet Unlimited Fibre with a static address.

Does anyone recommend a 3rd party router that will give reliable connections and good port forwarding and work with BT TV ?

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Firewall Issues - Looking for another router

fwiw, port 21 is the command port and often another random port number may be used for data transfer for common 'passive' FTP implementations.

Some 'passive' FTP server implementations (eg. vsftpd) can allow you to specifically define a smaller port range to be used   eg. 51001-51005.   ie. these have to be added to the firewall on some routers in my experience.

Check your FTP server documentation for any firewall advice.

You could perhaps put your FTP server into Hub One's DMZ to see if that will solve your problem  ( and change the FTP server's web admin port no. as a precaution) ?

ps. Also check your plusnet firewall settings: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

You need to forward port 20 as well as that is the data transfer port used for FTP protocol. Port 21 is used for command and control while port 20 is used for sending and receiving data.

smoothpainting
Grafter

FTP is very insecure, have you looked at SFTP?