cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Wifi Issues - Plusnet Router

tsomo2000

Fibre Wifi Issues - Plusnet Router

Sick to death of the slow speeds my plusnet router is giving me.

I pay for unlimited fibre plus, connected via cable from my laptop to the router usually gives me 50-80mb download, as soon as you connect via wifi the speed plummets.

Standing next to it now I have a speed test result of 0.58 Meg, on my phone. Tried various other tablets, phones and laptop but as soon as I go onto the wireless the speed is junk.

Tried calling plusnet (last time 35 min wait) but all they can advise is to change router channels which I've done many a time, send me a link to wifi trouble shooting, or the speeds get blamed on that 'more people are at home at the moment' even though I've tried to explain that the wires speed is fine, it's the wifi that is junk.

Tried turning off 5ghz and most other things as detailed on the forum. Is there a chance the router could be faulty?

Any advice on what else to try? I'm paying for something that is unusable.

Regards Alex
10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Fibre Wifi Issues - Plusnet Router

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @tsomo2000 I have looked into your account and ran some tests, I've updated it onto your account here.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnyd53

I have the same problem as you high speed on wired connection [72] which plummets on WiFi [26] right next to router. Spoke to technical today, did not help me at all but continually quoted "Our contract" and "Wired connection". Did not recognise that the problem was the speed at my laptop on WiFi.

Is the router faulty - it certainly gets hot and. have had a faulty 1 already.

Come on Plusnet, please help I shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket router as suggested by your agent to get the service I have paid for

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @jonnyd53 I have looked over your services and connection today and updated you on your account here.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnyd53

Hello

I looked at the information sent to me by Plusnet help team, it is far too complicated. I do not have the computer knowledge or understand the jargon!!

I can't believe I would have to go to these lengths to possibly increase my wireless speed.

It seems to me the router is either faulty or inferior - can you prove this is not true please?

If I were to buy a router and get an increase in speed this would prove the above-so I would send Plusnet the bill unless they could supply a "suitable" router.

I understand contract "terms and conditions" but feel Plusnet are misleading people. When I upgrade I should reasonably expect an increase in speed on wireless as most people use this. Otherwise Plusnet could send out the cheapest/poor equipment and not be accountable.

All I want is a nice fast laptop, which I'm sure Plusnet can help with.

swooshkelk

Hi Plusnet support, I'm having the same issues as jonnyd53 since upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and using the Hub One router. Based on my experience and the numerous posts of others I doesn't think the Hub One router is fit for purpose. Our previous ADSL router was actually better! I would like to know what my options are? Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@tinytaco wrote:

Hi there @jonnyd53 I have looked over your services and connection today and updated you on your account here.

Why is it that some of the newer staffers who respond on this forum always seem to answer with a ticket?

Is it:

1. Because the message is always account specific and of no use to other users of this forum who has a similar problem.

2. They do not want their responses to be open to public scrutiny in case some-one else has a better idea.

3. They do not welcome the intrusion of non Plusnet staffers who may question their pronouncements and/or suggest an alternative approach.

4. Shut down the customer interaction that many of us find so useful at times.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jonnyd53

Hello Baldrick1

Totally agree, in my case seems it was to blind me with technology - surely my router should be able to transmit a decent wireless signal without technical intervention. It seems it doesn't so is not fit for purpose and Plusnet have sold me a service I cannot access.

Waiting for answers to my questions and help from Plusnet.

Came on here as there doesn't seem a way to email them direct   ---   why?

Seems the only way to solve this now is to make a serious complaint.

Any suggestions as to a good router? 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jonnyd53 

Obviously no-one can comment on the advice that you have been given as it has been hidden from public gaze.

Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6 from an Auction site such as Ebay where they are plentiful and cheap. If you can stretch your budget get a Business version but both are superior to Plusnet's offerings. They need to be properly set up to work on a Plusnet account, the setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jonnyd53 The main problem with wifi performance is interference from neighboring wifi routers. Modern routers also are often dual-band i.e 2.4ghz and 5ghz which can also sometimes upset devices which are capable of connecting to both.

Each of the bands has a set of channels(frequencies) which can be used and routers TRY and assess the strength and channels of neighboring networks and automatically select a channel that is least interfered with. The problem is, just as your router sees adjacent ones, so they also see yours and adjust the channel they use. The best approach is often therefore, to disable the routers automatic channel selection, manually see what neighboring channels are being used with a wifi analyser software app, and then manually select and fix the best channel on your router.

Regarding the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, often they have the same name(SSID) which causes confusion, as devices capable of connecting to either, hop between them as conditions change. Separating the bands and giving them different names allows a device to stay connected to the same one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.