cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre DNS_PROBE_FINSHED_NO_INTERNET error

Westie421

Fibre DNS_PROBE_FINSHED_NO_INTERNET error

Hi,

I’ve had a wi-fi problem ever since I switched to Plusnet Fibre last year, which I’ve finally decided to get resolved. Is creating a thread on here sufficient to get support from Plusnet, or do I need to ring them?

The problem is with the connection to Android mobile phones. Occasionally, every few days, when trying to load a webpage in Chrome the following happens

• Nothings happens for about 10 seconds
  • Then Chrome shows the error message “DNS_PROBE_STARTED” for about 10 seconds
  • The Chrome shows the error message “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET” for about 10 seconds
  • Then usually the page will load. Sometime the page reload button needs selecting to get the page to load.

Sometimes apps on the Android phones will take time to respond, which I assume is also a connection issue.

I have a Plusnet One Hub and this problem coincides with the change to this from a BT Home Hub 5A.

The Wi-fi setup is the same between the 2 routers, SSID, Channel, 2.4 GHZ only, position, electrical socked used.

I have some ideas about work-arounds, but first I really like to get this problem fixed. Any ideas?

Thanks

Luke

7 REPLIES 7
thecrows

Re: Fibre DNS_PROBE_FINSHED_NO_INTERNET error

I think I might have been having similar issues with my Apple devices when other devices were working fine. I got this error a lot  (daily) with both iphone and ipad also coupled with sometimes just a very slow connection times, which was like going back to having a  dial up connection and also I have started getting a request for the router wifi password  even when I was in the room with the router, which pointed to a poor internet connection ,but The  WIFI signal on the iPhone or Ipad was strong and this has been troubling me to for some weeks.

Often with these situations, the only help on offer was regarding turning the router on and off which is not the answer if it is happening daily on only some devices. I also noticed that if I did turn the device on an off (not the router) this would clear for a few hours but it would be back again a while later.  I think I might have finally got to the bottom of it but it might not help everybody.

In my situation, I am not using a Plusnet router but a third party dual band Draytek device which I am vigilant ensure has updated firmware. I first checked that I am not having a conflicting wireless signal with my neighbours, by using this free tool . https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html (scroll halfway down the page to get the windows software), however, I doubted this was the issue as I say other devices were working fine.

What seems to have sorted me out is a soft Network reset with the device which I found in Settings , General, reset, "RESET Network settings"... This cleared all the networks the devices were communication with and I put in my home one in again and both devices so far it seems much happier...I hope it works for you as its very frustrating when things don't work as they should and often for multiple reasons

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Westie421, do you experience the same connection issues on a wired connection? As testing your connection isn't flagging up any problems and it doesn't seem to have dropped in quite some time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Westie421

Hi HarryB, I'm not sure how the wired connection behaves. The only wired connection into the router is for a homeplug which then connects to the TV. This is used for BBC, Prime and Channel 4 streaming services. Nearly everytime I use the TV for streaming (a couple of times a week) it won't connect to the internet. This is solved by power cycling the homeplug at the TV end. Not sure if this is a router of homeplug issue.

The laptop is connected via wi-fi and I have started to get problem with the connection dropping out. This has started happening since Christmas, whereas the original problem described with Android phones started as soon as I starting using the plusnet router.

Does that help?

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Westie421

It is possible to use a BT Home Hub (assuming you still have it) with Plusnet.

See instructions on this thread.

The outcome of testing with the BT Home Hub would suggest whether the router or something in the wider network is to blame.

I am the satisfied customer....
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Westie421,

As you have a laptop I would try in the first instance to hardwire it to see if the problem still exists. Alternatively if you just want to resolve the matter asap you can use your previous BT Hub with ourselves. Instructions can be found here.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Westie421, your router firmware was updated on 10/02 so it would be interesting to know whether or not this has had any effect on the situation?

Failing that, you might be suffering the symptoms of the problem described here, although that typically requires a physical restart of the Hub before service is restored i.e. it doesn't just come back on its own accord.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Westie421

Hi @bobpullen, I looked at the thread you referred to before my initial post. It wasn't completely clear to me, but that seemed to affect all devices and as you say required a restart.

We don't seem to have had the problem in the last week, so the firmware update might have fixed it. I'll monitor over the next couple of weeks and marked this as fixed by you if it doesn't recur.

Cheers

Luke