Did you mean: 

Faulty Hub 1 router

FIXED
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Faulty Hub 1 router

Hi all

I've had the Hub 1 router for about 6 months now and I feel it's not really performing as it should. I've factory-resetted it and still no luck. I've had to resort to using the Tg5823n as an alternative.

Common problems include connection dropping, rebooting itself after every 5-6 days, devices not being recognised etc...

Question is: will PN send me a replacement free of charge? - And by that, I mean with free P+P?

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Faulty Hub 1 router

Are you by any chance on the 38/2 Fibre product? If so there does seem to be a common problem when things upload to common services such as Google/Idrop/IDrive and so on.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Mustrum  - No; I'm on the standard BB.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new router.

By rebooting itself, do you mean the power light on the front goes to green or just orange?

As for the drops/devices not being recognised, if you're using the connection wirelessly it may be worth changing the wireless channels at http://192.168.1.254

Let us know how you get on.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Anoush - I find the router resetting/rebooting when I look at the stats. within the router config. page.

Where it says how long it's been connected, something like 7 days, 3 hours, it goes back to 0:00 and then starts to continue.

I've changed channels but everything has stayed the same sadly.

So presumably it's a faulty router. Would PN send me another with free P+P since it's not my fault, and the fact that I've had it less than 12 months?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hmm, it sounds like the connection is dropping. I presume you're not having the same issues with your Technicolor router?

If that's the case, then yeah the router would appear to be faulty. We'll be able to RMA it within 12 months from the point of order.

However, I'll check things out tomorrow once I'm back in the office and I'll come back here.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Cagney1994 What browser are you using to access the Hub UI?

I do recall, back in the days of my time over on the BT forums, that a browser (that unfortunately I can't remember which one it is) would caused the Hub to reset when navigating around the hub pages. I'd say it's plausible that this issue could have unknowingly been transferred to this version of hub...Huh

Or should the above question be can you try another browser?

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Anoush - there's been no problems with the Technicolour router. I could literally be connected for a couple of months without any issues.

And what does RMA stand for?

@DS - I normally tend to use Firefox from the laptop and the stock browser via the Android tablet and phone.

I've used other ones and there's been no problems with them.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Cagney1994 wrote:

And what does RMA stand for?

Return Merchandise Authorization

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DS
Seasoned Champion

And just in case you ask Wink Return Merchandise Authorisation = to return a product whilst under the manufacturers warranty period for (in your case) a replacement. - Therefore, I would suggest you power the hub up, leave it disconnected from the phone line, then press and hold the reset button (small recessed button on the back) for around 20 seconds until the light goes off and then release the button - switch it off and put it back into the box it came in.

I would also guess to say that PN will send out a returns bag for the hub.

---

Anyway, I use FF here too, so we can rule that out. I've never used my phones default browser and also use FF on that too.

I've also never used any of our Android or Apple phones or tablets to connect to the Hub UI, so I can't comment on them.

I must admit that I did assume that when you connected to the hub UI, a laptop/PC would have been connected via Ethernet, more so if you have tweaked any settings Embarrassed

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thank you for your patience @Cagney1994

Looking into what I think is your account, we haven't sent you a Hub One. I've checked your connection and it appears pretty stable:

If you're using the connection wirelessly, can you try changing the wireless channels from the Basic Settings page in the router interface?

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Anoush - My apologies. I actually meant the Hub 0 (the one with the pink feet) and that looks like this:

Hub 0.jpg

I don't know why I said the Hub 1. But nevertheless, it's a pretty unstable router or as mentioned in my OP, it may be faulty.

The reason my current connection is pretty stable is because I'm using the Technicolour one. If I was to swap it for the Hub 0, then more than likely the connection would be interrupted within the next 2-3 days, even sooner possibly.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ah-ha, the Hub Zero - or Plusnet 2704n.

It's matters not, but the Hub One has pink feet too!!

And I rather enjoyed trying to break test my Hub One UI last night using an iPad too!!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah I see. It may not be the router at fault. It may just be the wireless signal.

Just before I RMA, can you try changing the channels please?

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Anoush - I've tried changing channels for the last 6 months, lol. All the way from 1 to 13, and sadly to no avail.

I've also got a Wifi analyzer app. and even where's no congestion on the channel I'm on, the speed is still atrociously low (about 2-3 meg).

The most surprising thing is, when using the Technicolour (TG582n) router, my speed on average is between 15-16 meg. And this is when there is congestion Shocked