cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to obtain IP address from DHCP - is 25 devices too many for PlusNet hub?

dabevan
Hooked

Failing to obtain IP address from DHCP - is 25 devices too many for PlusNet hub?

Hi,

I've had my PlusNet broadband for a couple of years now and it's always been fine, but the addition of a few new devices over XMas has meant that it's now a struggle to connect to wifi. I've always used a wifi repeater and the signal strength is OK, I think the issue is with the router being unable to allocate IP addresses (since that's the error message).

Once a device is connected then the speed and stability is fine, but looking at the router I can't see all of my (approx 25) devices connected and suspect that many smart devices may be falling offline without me realising.

I've tried the obvious things like rebooting devices/hub/repeater etc and have tried manually moving the wifi channels about, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Is 25 devices too many for the standard PlusNet hub? Should I buy a new router, if so which one - I don't need any additional speed or functionality, but do need the ability to support large number of connected devices.

...is it better to have one big router, or should I get a couple of cheaper ones and set them up as different SSIDs and then connect them to PN hub via eithernet (or is this even possible?)

Any suggestions welcome.

Happy to throw some money at it if that's what the problem is, but don't just want to buy the latest shiny thing for the sake of it.

Thanks

Dave 

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Failing to obtain IP address from DHCP - is 25 devices too many for PlusNet hub?

Hi Dave,

A warm welcome to the forums...

@dabevan wrote:

I think the issue is with the router being unable to allocate IP addresses (since that's the error message).

Is 25 devices too many for the standard PlusNet hub?

Which "standard" hub?  Over the years, Plusnet has used numerous hubs and IIRC some of them had a limitation of the number of WiFi devices supported - just 20!!  So the first question before we look at solutions is, which router?

The Hub Zero (2704n) does not have the best of wifi support.  I have never tried to connect that many devices to it, but I do recall it being temperamental.

Are you other network devices REPEATERS or WiFi APs / Routers?  That is do they connect to the Plusnet router using wifi (repeater) or Ethernet / dLan ?  Repeaters utilise the WiFi bandwidth of the router, which if not the best in the first place can only lead to more troubles!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dabevan
Hooked

Re: Failing to obtain IP address from DHCP - is 25 devices too many for PlusNet hub?

It says it's a "Plusnet Hub One"

...I've attached a screenshot of the boiler plate info (note all passwords etc have been changed)

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @dabevan 

As far as I am aware there is no IP allocation issue with the hub one.

Does your network only have a single DHCP server and is it the Hub One?

From the home page of the Hub One 192.168.1.254 navigate to  >Advanced Settings >Home network >IP Addresses it should look like 

Screenshot 2021-12-27 130754.png 

If is not the DHCP sever what is, what is the IP Address allocation range?

Dan.

dabevan
Hooked

A friend has suggested getting a Deco Mesh.

If I've understood correctly, then all I would need to do would be to disable the wifi on the Plusnet router (which I know how to do), then connect one of the Decos to the router via an ethernet cable, and position the others around the house. Set up the SSIDs in the same name and password as my old network and it should all just work?

Am I missing anything?

Dave

dabevan
Hooked

Hi @Dan_the_Van ,

Yes it has a single range for DHCP (if that's what you meant?)

I've attached a screenshot...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@dabevan 

Some wireless repeaters also have a DHCP server.

Are the devices not getting an IP Address 2.4GHz only devices? As there issues with some routers with devices struggling to get IP Address/connection where the SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz share the same name. A solution for this would be rename the 5GHz signal name by appending -5 to the name.

Some mesh systems use a wireless backhaul/backbone which can in some cases not work well as the mesh device needs to be located in a strong signal position for the wireless source. Another trap you could fall into is to have a router connected to router which would introduce twice NAT.

Dan.

dabevan
Hooked

thanks @Dan_the_Van 

I think the router is doing the DHCP as the devices appear as connections to the router (ie I see the individual devices in the ip address table), not as connections via the repeater.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Doesn't help resolve the problem, however...

Is 25 devices too many for the standard PlusNet hub?

No, it shouldn't be. I've personally used a Hub One with over 40 devices on my network at home.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵