Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External static IP address on BT Business Smart Hub 6

praful
Grafter

External static IP address on BT Business Smart Hub 6

Hello

I'm trying out a BT Business Smart Hub 6 with Plusnet. I've noticed since switching to it, I'm no longer getting my Plusnet static IP address (internet facing). The URL associated with that static IP address (<username>.plus.com>) is also not responding any more.

I noticed that on the BT router, there is a way of using a static IP address if you've requested one from BT. You need to enter a router address and subnet mask. Is that what I need or something else?

Thanks

Praful

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: External static IP address on BT Business Smart Hub 6

@praful 

This is nothing to do with your Smarthub. Have you paid for a static IP address? If not the mere act of swapping over the hubs would need the DSL to be dropped. Unless you have paid for the static address then there’s no guarantee that it will pick up the same one when you reconnect. 
You must leave the allocation of this address to Plusnet. If you try to over ride this by entering these details into the hub you will have issues with the Plusnet gateway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Praful, I think @Baldrick1 is spot on here as you don't have a static IP address.

Previously you had a temporary static IP as we'd add one if our broadband firewall is enabled due to the way it works. 

It looks like the firewall was turned off from the back of this post as part of some diagnostics Bob was doing which meant that you went from being assigned a static IP to a dynamic one.

If you pay £5 for a static IP by going Here you should have one permanently

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
praful
Grafter

@Baldrick1@Gandalf thanks for replying.

There are two issues, which my message didn't clearly differentiate between.

1. The static IP address. 

2. The URL <my plusnet username>.plus.com is no longer working. This is used by some remote running software and has been used for the past year or so. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) this was related to my router change. However, this too could be related to Bob's changes last week.

@Gandalf This is probably better continued via PM.

Thanks 

Praful

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Praful,

The reason why username.plus.com isn't working is because you don't have a static IP anymore

If you buy a static IP you'll have that permanently Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
praful
Grafter

Just to close this thread for those visiting: my static IP address and URL were reinstated. All is well again.

Thanks to @Gandalf for resolving this issue.

Praful

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the confirmation @praful 

No problem, let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet