cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Wireless

RayHewitt74
Hooked

Extending Wireless

I have recently moved to PlusNet and over the course of many years have used many other providers.  

I have an office that has a CAT5 run to it.  In there I have a Linksys router running DD WRT.  This router is configured as an access point, firewall is off, DHCP is switched off and requests are forwarded to main router.  This setup has worked fine for about a decade.  

So I change to PlusNet and an oversight by them meant my router was not ordered.  To get round this I reconfigured my TalkTalk router to connect to PlusNet.  Everything worked perfectly until my PlusNet router arrived and I decided to switch to it.  Now my AP cannot communicate with the PlusNet router.

AP Network is set as follows: -

• IP - 192.168.1.2
  • mask - 255.255.255.0
  • GW - 192.168.1.254

Can someone advise if there is something on the PlusNet router that I am missing that would cause this problem?  A setting maybe.  It is driving me mad as it has worked for many years without any problems.  I don't see any reason this would not work.  

6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Extending Wireless

No changes need to be made to the Hub One.

Do the gigabit ports on the Hub One work with other wired devices?

Have you tried a different CAT5E or CAT6 grade cable to your Linksys?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Has something else grabbed the192.168.1.2 address?

You might want to check that the access point has an address outside the range being assigned by the Hub one

RayHewitt74
Hooked

cheers gents

it is definitely something wrong on the 2nd router but I cant for the life of me find out what or what.  I reconfigured the network settings on my NAS, moved it from my office and connected to the PlusNet router directly and it worked fine so no problem on the ports.  Also connected the cable in my office directly to a PC in there and that also started to work fine.  

At least I know its nothing on the PlusNet router.  

RayHewitt74
Hooked

no that's not possible as that was the address the router always used and the DHCP scope starts at 63

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Last idea.

Have you restarted the second router?

The switch will have a "routing" table. Occasionally Some of my switches get confused about which port a particular MAC address is on. A restart usually fixes things

RayHewitt74
Hooked

Hi Wisty

Yes many times, both have been rebooted a few times due to config changes etc.  2nd router has been reset a couple of times as well to remove anything I may have broke when experimenting.