cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a device

Moz
Grafter

Editing a device

I have a Hub One router on fibre. I've rigged up a test desktop computer and connected it to the internet via a power line adapter connected to the router. A laptop also runs off this adapter. For some reason which escapes me now but I set up the desktop with a static IP address. I was getting connectivity issues with the laptop. So I checked the Home Network on the router only to find that the desktop had been assigned an IP address of 169.254.201.76 not something I'd given and way out of the range of acceptable IP addresses. It was also showing as disconnected even though I could still access the internet.

I attempted to change the IP address to one within the acceptable range but it kept flipping back to the one above. I then tried to remove the static IP setting but again it kept accepting the change but flipped back to the static setting as soon as I moved off the page. 

I decide I would then delete the desktop device from the attached devices but it would not do so even if the desktop was no longer connected.

In desperation I changed the cabling over to another LAN port and then switched on the desktop. After a while the connection on the previous LAN port disappeared and was showing on the desktop on the new LAN port. All seemed well as the Desktop was now showing as being connected and with a properly assigned IP address. However, this was still assigned as a static IP address. I cannot remove this static IP address. The radio buttons are greyed out that are  used to make this change. When I connect the laptop to the power line adapter it correctly appears on the same LAN port as the Desktop but I can edit the laptop settings. Anyone any ideas what has gone wrong here and how I can rectify this?   

9 REPLIES 9
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Editing a device

The 169. address is Microsofts way of telling you there is an IP address mismatch.

When you first connected the PC to the hub and changed the IP address did you also disconnect the Ethernet or powercycle the PC? If not, then you could have done as it would have retained the first given address and then you changed it.

edit. Rather than trying to explain it here, google 'cmd prompt ip release and renew' as a way to fix this.

Moz
Grafter

Cheers DS you've put my mind at ease regarding the 169. IP address. I'm now curious to know why I couldn't edit the Device entry for the Desktop and still can't.

You may be right about the recycling bit; I don't know it was such a while ago when I set this up and I've only just returned to my test rig in the last few days to try out some different set up.  

Edit: I'll try the IP Release and Renew. Although I have managed to renew the IP address  by swapping the LAN port but I still can't edit the entry. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem.

Without knowing the full set up or how many devices you have, or may have had, connected at any one time, you may have been trying to allocate an IP address to the desktop when it could have already been used by something else, possibly your PLA's. (don't forget that these are always on, even though the hub one may show either or both as disconnected - the address issued to each will be retained by the hub for a minimum of 1 day, or up to 21 days if you've played around with the settings on the hub.

As you're still having issues, you could always power down all devices that connect to the hub, reset the hub (bearing in mind you may need to alter the broadband name to your user name @ plusnet.dsl) and start again. Connect the desktop only (if possible) and give it an address you want it to have -> disconnect/pull the ethernet/cmd release and it should now work on the new address you gave it.

Then do the same for the rest of your equipment.

(sorry for the long post)

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Moz
Grafter

I've been putting off going down that route but I suppose it may be the only choice I have to get back to a setup I can edit. I've got this working with SkyQ and it's taken some time to get it all settled and I fear I might upset things a little. I don't need to edit the connection to my Test Desktop, it seems to be stuck with a static IP address. 

By the way I believe resetting the Hub won't need any further intervention from me it should recover the settings remotely. I could back and restore my settings but that just might put me back where I started.

Oh well I might just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for your input it's been a great help. 

Moz
Grafter

Gel, thanks for commenting. I don't have an issue with locating the details of my set up. The problem is I can't edit the settings for a Desktop computer attached to the Hub from the Hub Manager. I have a Desktop that is set to have a static IP address and I can't remove that setting nor remove the Device from the Device list.

DS
Seasoned Champion

The reason why the hub allocated the desktop with a static IP address is because of the following-

If you switch the hub on, then connect a PC, as would anyone, then switch the hub off (or reset it) but you leave the desktop on and connected to the hub then after the hub has settled it sees the address of the desktop and it assumes it (the desktop) wants to keep that address.

If you were to connect your laptop -> disconnect the desktop (and power it down) -> access the hub manager -> find the static address for the desktop -> delete it (-> connect the desktop back to the hub -> power the desktop back up   you should then find that the hub does not retain the desktops address as static which allows you to change it. Power the desktop down or pull the ethernet or cmd release when it connects back to the hub it should now work fine.

The above can be done without having to reset the hub and thus have the issues you mentioned with the SkyQ (although it should have connected without any issues in the first place)

edit. A full factory reset of the hub may (I'm not sure yet) restore the broadband username to setup@plusnet.dsl. Though I would expect it to change to your plusnet username after it carries out the handshake with plusnet. The only reason I mentioned it may need changing was as a just in case Wink

Obviously the desktop should be set to obtain an IP address automatically and not be set be you to use a fixed IP address.

Moz
Grafter

DS Thanks for your input. The problem was that I couldn't delete the entry for my desktop. However, Since I've swapped the Lan Port for the Desktop it got allocated an IP address correctly but was still set to a Static Address which I couldn't alter. I've powered down the Desktop several times during the evening as it was updating, I've reinstalled the OS from scratch. I'm viewing the Hub Manager on another PC. I've powered down the Desktop several times and checked the Hub Manager but there was no change. I was ready to go through some of your suggestions when I powered off the Desktop one more time and and rebooted and checked the entry and low and behold the entry is editable again. Further more its has defaulted to DHCP assigned IP Address and it is sitting correctly in the DHCP Table. I don't claim to understand how this has occurred but I have to assume swapping the Lan Port had something to do with it by rewriting the entry. Thanks again for your input I think I can now put this down as a mystery, although a lesson in making changes on the Hub Manager and power recycling the affected device is one to heed.  

DS
Seasoned Champion

A mystery, nah more to do with BT and their quality hubs!Grin

(as you should know, BT own PN and the Hub One is the same as a BT Hub, bar the bright white in yer face ruins the look of my set up colour)

But good to hear it's sorted:)