cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 2830N v2

teamrazer

Draytek Vigor 2830N v2

Hello ive been with plusnet for year's never used there forum before tho  ... lol

But  i have recently purchased a Draytek Vigor 2830N V2 "dualband" router http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-v2830n-v1-vs-v2   as the v1 is single band.

I am using it for ethernet though an only my kids are using the wifi on there tablet's.

How do i setup this correctly? Do i use the bt open reach modem? or can i connect to plusnet by plugging the dsl line into the router itself  in wan 1? Reason i ask is cause this router support's 3 isp's  on different wan ports  , Wan  1  is ADSL etc, wan 2 is another port by modem and wan 3 is usb internet for example 3G/4G.

Last router i had was a netgear by plusnet which needed the bt open reach modem but  i find its abit old and sluggish any idea's would be great. I use the ethernet port's though for a network powerline on 1gb's which are zyxel pla5206's , one connected to the router ethernet 1 and the other connected to my computer's dedicated intel 1gb's ethernet card. 

Also id like to note  im on plusnet's fibre extra package and can i  run this vigor router on fibre without the openreach modem? And if so will this affect my isp speed/ latency.

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Draytek Vigor 2830N v2

@teamrazer

Welcome to the forums.

Going from the manufacturers spec http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2830#1-overview, the 2830N only has a ADSL modem so needs an Openreach (or similar) FTTC modem connected to the WAN2 port

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
teamrazer

I am using atm the wan 2  on the open reach modem which is fttc version on ppoe , is this then fine or should  i be using a different ppp version and what settings would you recommend

SpendLessTime
Hero

No, FTTC uses PPPoE so you have that configured correctly.

Is it working as is?

Was the sluggish issue to do with the previous router or is it this router ?

SpendLessTime
Hero

Altough this thread at Thinkbroadband is for BT, the general details should be correct for Plusnet by just replacing the username and password with your Plusnet details (username@plusdsl.net and member centre password)

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4205044-re-getting-bt-infinity-tomorrow-do-not-want-to-use-the...

so you can check against these if your current settings are not working.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@teamrazer Hopefully the 2830N v2 was reasonably cheap, the ideal Draytek for Plusnet VDSL is the 2860 (in one of its variants).

The DSL port on the 2830 only supports ADSL.

I'm not familiar with the 2830 but I've had and been very pleased with the 2820 for some years. I now use my 2820 with an Openreach modem as you do. This works well and if anything is slightly faster than the Plusnet Hub One.

Sadly with my 2820 I can't have 3G failover if the main connection is on Ethernet. Your 2830 may be more flexible but I don't think so.

I am the satisfied customer....
teamrazer

Thanks for the replys  , yes  i find the draytek more better than the plusnet company router's which sorry to say are cheap an tacky.

Also a reply for the above- thats ok i have it on ppoe with the fftc modem in wan2 , i was only asking if i could use it without the openreach modem but that was answered by you , and my 2nd question was  what settings do you recommend on my draytek to use as me an the wife both  play video games on are internet , hers on a xbox  on ethernet , mine is on pc on ethernet  linked to router by powerline's  zyxel pla 5206 1gb's plug's.and the kids are on tablets on wifi.  Markhawkin what are you're settings and have you found an enhancments on tweaking draytek's?

markhawkin
Pro

@teamrazer unlike some (many ?) on this forum I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought.

Hence I'm using the default settings for the WAN2

PPPoE, Authentication PAP or CHAP, timeout -1, dynamic IP and MTU of 1442.

I somehow doubt that any significant improvements can be made by fiddling with these.

The one thing I haven't got is complex firewall rules (which I think does use up router processing power).

I use a fairly complex LAN setup to keep a WiFi network for my son separate from the one I use and have provision for a guest network but many people wouldn't need this.

I also use DHCP reservation so devices stay on the same IP addresses.

When I had ADSL I did have rate limiting on my son's WiFi to stop him using all the bandwidth and I have the WiFi on a timer on school nights to avoid temptation...

I also use OpenDNS (set on the LAN) with fairly aggressive filter rules.

markhawkin
Pro

@teamrazer

One other comment.

I was actually quite impressed with the Hub One, which I used when I first had fibre and before I got the Openreach modem set up with my Draytek.

It is nothing like as flexible as the Draytek but you can just plug it in and it works, which for a consumer computer product is quite an achievement.

It has 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi, parental control on time of Internet use and can do a bit of port forwarding. 

For the average (non-technical) customer it is a neat one box solution.