cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 130 + Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 with PPoE settings entered - Not working

FIXED
odinscat

Draytek Vigor 130 + Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 with PPoE settings entered - Not working

Hi

According to Draytek's quick start guide it can handle most UK ISPs with plus and play but you need the router to send the PPoE settings.

I connected the EdgeRouter and ran the wizard for WAN2LAN I think. Entered the PPoE settings for the WAN sid which I'd connected to the Draytek modem.

I coulldn't get a connection. I'd used a couple of links on here of people with EdgeRouterX configs to check my configs were all ok and they were. But si Still couldn't connect to the outside world.

Can anyone think of something I may have missed?

I've tried resseting and setting back both devices but still the PPoE settings don't seem to let me get through to the internet.

I don't know how to troubleshoot it either. I try to ping anything from the EdgeRouter and its unable to reach it. Hostnames can't be found (which is when I entered the DNS servers and restarted) - still didn't work.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 + Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 with PPoE settings entered - Not working

Fix

Check the Vigor 130 is updated to the latest firmware version "3.8.4.1_BT"

If not it can be downloaded from https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130 

Check that the VDSL "Tag Value" and "Priority" settings are correct.

This is my working setup -

Vigor130 VDSL tags.jpg

odinscat

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 + Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 with PPoE settings entered - Not working

Thanks Nibiru! I'll check it out later today. I never thought to update the Draytek. Should have been my first port of call! I'll let you know how it goes. Smiley

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
odinscat

Its all sorted and working!!!

Thank you so much to Nibiru!

For future reference to anyone having problems with their Edgerouter of any type. Edgerouter 4 X 6 PoE, etc.

Log into the router and go into the CLI. Type the username/password for the router and on the command line you can run

tail /var/log/messages

Or

less /var/log/messages

Both will show you the CHAP authentication status and whether its worked/working. I had quite a few issues when I first got Plusnet and the customer service reps had to keep resetting my password for me to enter into the router. However this is only temporary and eventually the router gets sent a NEW password and continues working as normal.

So after I'd sorted the update I put in the new details and it worked perfectly!!!

The above commands are also just useful for finding out information Plusnet sends to setup your connection such as DNS, external and internal IP addresses, etc.

You wouldn't believe I'm a sysadmin and Linux is my first OS now. It took me til now to realise an EdgeRouter is effectively a type of Linux with its own logs in /var/log/*. I'm a pillock.

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

So using your "linux sysadmin" skills, what does your Vigor 130 vdsl line stats look like ?

telnet into the modem, and then enter the command  vdsl status

to get something like this -

Vigor> vdsl status
  ---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 73796000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 19999000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 71539320 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 20408000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast 
   DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       19 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        3  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     7. 7 dB    US actual PSD        :    15. 6  dB
   NE CRC Count            :     4434       FE CRC Count         :     8510