Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 130 + TP-Link AX50 no internet although shows as connected

rototype

Draytek Vigor 130 + TP-Link AX50 no internet although shows as connected

Hi All,

<Background>

I've been experiencing a few internet issues recently with my old setup so I decided to update the WiFi router from an old TP-Link TL-WR1042ND (which has been having more and more issues recently) to a nice new shiny TP-Link AX50.

All went fairly well as initially I set it up in Access point mode as a secondary WiFi SSID and got all of the machines moved over to the new WiFi. Then I removed the old WiFi router and put to back to normal mode - this is all with the old TP-Link TD-8817 broadband  modem (using Static IP address assignment, all working well but we were still getting quite a few dropouts.

I then found that the PSU deom the modem was only putting out 4.95V and the power LED was a little faint so I decided to replace it. After looking around it looked as if I had a sum total of 2 choices of broadband modems - another of the TP-Link TD-8817 model or the Draytek Vigor 130, which is what I ended up buying.

<The Problem>

I can't get it to work!

I've gone through ALL of the settings in every possible combination and even gone as far as reloading the firmware from the 3.8.4.1_BT version it came with to a standard version and still no joy - it looks like the router can talk to the internet as the internet LED goes green but I don't think it's picking up the correct DNS settings as when I occasionally do get some response from the internet it's a warning message from BT Wholesale (Openreach?) which basically says that the settings are wrong and stop using them.

Anyone got anything new to try other than sending the Draytek back and ordering another TP-Link? I've had to revert back to the old one for the moment as I need the internet working.

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 + TP-Link AX50 no internet although shows as connected

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@rototype  To clarify before I try and help. Are you using the Draytek 130 in router mode or bridge(modem) mode ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rototype

I've tried both (according to all of the help posts I've seen) and tried putting 101 in the tag value field - problem I'm having is a lot of the posts seem to be aimed at people using it in vdsl mode and I'm pretty sure it should be in adsl mode (as far as I was aware vdsl is for high speed fibre which I haven't got). Still - tried pretty much everything I can find, even tried switching it from PPPoA to PPPoE but that didn't connect either.

Rototype.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@rototype  The TP Link is an ADSL2  modem. There is no VLAN ID requirement on ADSL connections. where are you entering the Plusnet Username and Password information? The fact that you have had some sort of internet connection to the BT Wholesale default page suggests it is an authentication issue, the required Username and Password are not getting through. You need the modem in set to ADSL in bridge mode and the router set up to connect by PPPoE through its WAN port. It worries me when someone says they have tried every combination of settings, it is usually a recipe for disaster. Keep it simple, do full resets so you have a clean starting point. I am not sure what the default configuration of the Vigor 130 is, I think it is basically a modem but not too sure.

rototype

The username and passsword are being passed from the AX50 in PPPoE mode -  there is NO place to set username and password on the Draytek. I have set it to bridge mode (as shown here https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5367 ) - this didn't connect either. This is also where the mention of the TAG ID (Not VLAN ID - unless they're using alternative terminology for the same thing).

When I do set the system up with PPPoE from the AX50 it picks up DNS servers of 62.6.38.125 and 194.74.65.98 which certainly don't match anything I've seen listed for PlusNet. When I manually change these to 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150 ad shown on the PlusNet connections page it doesn't connect.

It really annoys me when people claim to be an expert but don't actually have any experience of the equipment that's causing the issues.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If this is for ADSL then it should be PPOA

More settings here, most should be done in the modem automatically.

How to connect your broadband | Help & Support - Plusnet

if this 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@rototype  I hope you are not suggesting that I am claiming to be an expert and annoying you, I was just trying to help with some basic questions about your set-up.  It clearly states VLAN tag insertion in the Draytek doc, that is the VLAN ID I mentioned which is not required on the modem or router so should be disabled on both. No idea what those DNS addresses are. My Plusnet DNS addresses are 212.159.6.10 are 212.159.6.9 but you shouldn't need to manually set them and they wouldn't stop you connecting any way. 

I may not have hands on knowledge of the equipment but I have never been keen on the Vigor 130 modem, Draytek can't seem to get the Upload and Download stats the correct way round and I would consider the TP link AX50 a bit of an overkill for an ADSL2  connection.

I will leave you to sort it out.

Edit: your VPI / VCI settings should be 8 / 38 not 35 as in the draytek doc