Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to change my Router

FIXED
Rewdan

Do I need to change my Router

Hello Plusnet community,

I signed up with Plusnet as a new customer recently.

On Wednesday, Dec 4, 2019, I received notification by email from Plusnet that 'Your broadband's ready to go'; this email included instructions for connecting the router. Since I hadn't received a router from Plusnet and the internet connection was good, I carried on with the router I already had. Note: this older router was used with my old Broadband supplier, John Lewis.

On Friday, Dec 7,2019, I received, by post, a router from Plusnet. My internet connection (which is ethernet only, no wireless) is still good, still using the older John Lewis router. From what I understand Plusnet also service John Lewis Broadband, so the older router, a Sagemcom, may well be a Plusnet router.

Do I need to change to the new router - or can I simply keep it in reserve.

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Do I need to change my Router

@Rewdan 

The question that comes to mind is whether the change has actually been made. I would log into the router and check whether the username has actually changed from yourusername@john-lewis.com to yourusername@plusdsl.net.

If it has changed to Plusnet and it works then leave it as it is. Either way you can use your own router with Plusnet so if the change has yet to go through you can use either. The only difference is that the Plusnet hub will auto configure whilst you may have to set the JL one up manually.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rewdan

Thanks Baldrick, for your response and directions.

I have logged into my 'John Lewis' router - and the username is  yourusername@john-lewis.com. There is an option to 'Change' this - but when I click on this option and enter into the screen where the 'Broadband Username' and 'Broadband Password' helpfully appear, these seem to be 'hard-coded'. I can't change them.

Because it was easier to just continue using the same JL router I thought a 'Factory Reset' may help. But no -still won't allow a change to the values for 'Broadband Username' and 'Broadband Password'.

Does this imply that these values are hard-wired into the router before shipment? So I cannot use the JL router as my 'own router', as I believe you were suggesting I might be able to?

It would be good to understand the setup anyway. Have I understood the situation correctly?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Rewdan 

It appears that you are still on the JL service so we need a Plusnet staffer to come along and sort that out.

In terms of using the router in the future on Plusnet, which ruter do you have? As a general rule a specific user is not hard coded in but a generic ISP one is. As a result you need to remove the dsl cable before doing a factory reset and changing the log in credentials. You then plug the dsl cable in whilst the router is trying to reconnect. All devices are different and with some ISPs the routers are locked down. I am currently assuming that yours does not fit within this category.

Either way the first thing to sort is whether your account has not transferred properly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

In terms of updating the connection details within your John Lewis router, when you go to the screen to change the details, you first need to click the disconnect button, to disconnect your connection before being able to update the authentication details. Clicking connect after this should reconnect you on the new details you've entered (At least, that's how it works on the Plusnet variant of the router)

I've also checked your Plusnet account and it does appear to be active, so you should be able to connect using either the new router, or by updating the connection details in your old router. It's likely that you're still able to authenticate on the John Lewis router if the account closure hasn't finalised yet (Although you should only be charged up to the point when the service migrated over from John Lewis to Plusnet)

I would recommend either switching over to the new router (keeping the old one as a backup), or updating the authentication details in your current router (keeping the new one as a back up as you mentioned) so you don't lose your connection when the closure of your John Lewis account completes.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Rewdan

Thanks, Harry - you made it simple. I followed the straightforward solution of disconnecting the current Plusnet router to change username and password details (keeping the new router for reserve).

Gratefully, ticking the 'fixed' button 😊.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear that sorted it, thanks for letting me know Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet