Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable remote access?

FIXED
colonelross
Dabbler

Disable remote access?

Is it possible to disable remote access in Hub Zero settings? I've been able to do this on most of my previous routers.

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Disable remote access?

Fix

The hub zero is very basic and the user has minimal access to settings. Plusnet are able to update firmware remotely. If you have other routers have you considered using one of these instead, the performance is unlikely to be any worse. You will find how to set up third party routers here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

colonelross
Dabbler

Thanks for the help. Not what I wanted to hear but if remote access can't be disabled then there's nothing that can be done so I'll have to mark this as fixed

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What do you mean by 'remote access'? The device is not accessible to 'the Internet' as such, but we are able to remotely manage it. If you don't want us to do this, we can remove you from our management platform but your router won't receive firmware updates etc. if we do, and won't auto provision itself in the event of a factory reset.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

colonelross
Dabbler

I'll leave things as they are.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

In addition to Bob's response if you would like to remove your router from the management platform, you can do that yourself by going here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@bobpullen wrote:
What do you mean by 'remote access'? The device is not accessible to 'the Internet' as such, but we are able to remotely manage it. If you don't want us to do this, we can remove you from our management platform but your router won't receive firmware updates etc. if we do, and won't auto provision itself in the event of a factory reset.

If Plusnet can remotely manage the router then presumably they are doing it over the internet? I am sure that there are all sorts of security measures in place but surely some form of back door access exists? Plusnet not using it is different to locking it off at the router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's authenticated TR069 access, operating over a TLS connection between the device and our ACS servers.
You're right though, removing the device is not strictly the same as blocking the port entirely. If it's the latter you're after, then you're out of luck with the firmware build provided with the device I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

d8smt
Rising Star

This link just replies to an autologin option. how can one take the router off the automatic firmware update schedule ?

The last FW update has caused real problems with my router, and i have a spare but I don't want that auto updating .

thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@d8smt

To enable/disable TR069 try https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @d8smt

Thanks for getting in touch.

The link provided by @SpendLessTime is worth a shot, although it may just stop the router calling in for the correct username and password rather than any firmware updates.

@bobpullen - Do you have any insight into this?

Best wishes

Dave

d8smt
Rising Star

Unfortunately, all this seemed to do was to hose all connections to the internet other than to the plusnet website. Couldn't reach any site except www.plus.net. Changed it back now & reimaged the router.

Could a port block on the maintenance channel prevent this? If so, which port is used for maintenance?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I suspect when you removed the device from the management platform, the default username was pushed to it (setup@plusdsl.net). This will have resulted in the symptoms you describe.

Just read your other thread with interest (will reply over there too).

The management port for the Hub One is 7547, however I doubt you'll have much luck overwriting it with a NAT rule.

Edit: scrap that, I think the port is actually 4567.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team