Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty getting wifi on laptop

FIXED
PhilGreen
Dabbler

Difficulty getting wifi on laptop

I have recently installed Plusnet Hub 1 which worked fine for a few weeks. Now I cannot connect wifi on my laptop (MacBook Pro with High Sierra Version 10.13.06). On Network the note is "Wifi is connected to PLUSNET-S6KG and has the IP address 192.168.1.64." and the indicator shows 5 bars. Then on Safari clicking o google I get "You are not connected to the internet. This page cannot be displayed because your computer is currently offline."

Advice please - Router problem or computer settings? And how do I resolve it?

25 REPLIES 25
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Difficulty getting wifi on laptop

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@PhilGreen - assuming I'm looking in the right place, I cannot see a Hub One associated with your account. Did we provide you with the hub?

If we didn't, then ideally we need to correctly attach it to your account. Failure to do this means that you are unlikely to receive firmware updates, and that could well be the underlying cause of your issue.

If you drop me a private message containing your account username and hub serial number then I'll check things over for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PhilGreen
Dabbler

Thanks for this suggestion. Unfortunately it has not resolved the issue. I have tried reset but still no change. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @PhilGreen,

Have you had the chance to message @bobpullen about this yet? I've had a look at the account and I can't see that a Hub One is listed, only an older Fibre router that is no longer supplied.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@PhilGreen resetting the hub was the first step to get it talking to the back-end systems again.

I was waiting to hear that you had done this before attempting to push a software update to your hub.

This has now been done and the final step is for you to turn your hub off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PhilGreen
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ

i thought I had messaged @bobpullen  but can’t find my version. Maybe I also need to how to send private messages. However have also now heard back from.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) tagging fixed.

PhilGreen
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen . Sorry I thought had messaged on Friday but can’t find it now. I have turned the router off and on and still don’t have a WiFi connection on MacBook even though it is indicated. Would appreciate further advice.

Regards PhilGreen

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @PhilGreen, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the connection issues look to be persisting. Do any of your other devices have trouble connecting to the wireless recently or is it just the MacBook? If just the MacBook and you haven't already then then I'd recommend forgetting the router details currently saved in the device and looking to re-add the wireless details afresh to see if this helps.
Let us know how it goes.

PhilGreen
Dabbler

I only have difficulty with the MacBook. iPhones and iPads connect fine as does my printer. I would appreciate it if you would lead me through the process of forgetting the router details and re-adding the wireless details afresh (I am not too familiar with the technology). 
Thanks

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @PhilGreen, thanks for getting back to us.wireless details.
If you go into your Macbooks settings there should be an option in there to go into Network. From here press advanced at the bottom right and this should bring up a list of your remembered wireless networks on the device. If you highlight the routers connection followed by pressing the minus underneath the list then this will remove the wireless details. If you go ahead and re-connect it up again using the wireless password then this hopefully will rid of the issues you've had when trying to connect.
Let us know how it goes.

PhilGreen
Dabbler

Still shows “internet not connected” when I search on Safari. Something else I can try?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@PhilGreen 

If you log in to the Hub and go to the Network page can you see this device amost the list of connected devices? If so has it been allocated an IP address?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Or go into network preferences > select wifi > click advanced
what is showing in the tcp/ip tab?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PhilGreen
Dabbler

On the TCP/IP tab the IPv4 address shows as 192.168.1.64 and “Status” confirms that.