cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices wont stay connected via wifi

bigjustice92

Devices wont stay connected via wifi

So its not a normal issue this one.
My devices (phones, tablet, laptop, etc) will not stay connected to the WiFi.
I have attached some images but in short, the WiFi will state ''couldn't authenticate connection'' however, if I just press connect again it will connect. This shows that the passwords etc are all correct but I have to do this every time I want to use WiFi, it lasts maybe 5 minutes and then disconnects again.

EDIT* Not sure how to add images
4 REPLIES 4
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Devices wont stay connected via wifi

@bigjustice92   First welcome to the forums.

Could I make a couple of suggestions, that might help.

I am assuming you are using the Hub One router supplied by PlusNet. try splitting the 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wi-Fi, this has been known to fix some users issues.  To do this logon to your router 192.168.1.254 then go to Advanced setting and then enter your admin password, then click on the Wireless tab and then 5 Ghz and you will see an option to Sync with 2.4 Ghz, change that to No. You will need change one of the SSID so you devices know which one to try and join. 2.4Ghz has the longer range, but slower speeds usually, while 5 Ghz has faster speeds but shorter range and walls can cause it issues.

Have you looked at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/  for ideas.

Some people have gone and got a BT Home Hub 6 cheap from eBay as that gives a better Wi-Fi coverage.

bigjustice92

Hi wakeman,

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully its not router strength or walls seen as I spend 80% of my day sat about 6 ft from the router haha.
Wish I could attach an image of the error, its really strange!

I have split the 2.4 and 5 so will see how that runs tomorrow and keep everything crossed

Thanks!
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@bigjustice92 

to insert a photo look above this window as you type your response and you will see some icons one looks like a picture, use that to add a picture into the message.

Or if you look below this window you see some text that says "File attachments limits" and just above that is a chain link icon click on that to attach a picture as an attachment.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bigjustice92 there's a post pinned at the top of this forum section about 5GHz problems. Suggest having a read of it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵