cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices losing connection / unable to connect

swchairman
Hooked

Devices losing connection / unable to connect

We’re on basic broadband with a Plusnet Zero router. Periodically since the start of service and more so over the last week, I have problems with devices failing to reconnect to the network. Two examples: an iPhone which had been connected and then out of the house for a couple of days wouldn’t reconnect; and a Nest Protect which was happy on the network dropped off and couldn’t reconnect. Each time, it’s resolved by rebooting the router.

I’m convinced — perhaps erroneously — that it’s to do with DHCP leases expiring and devices not getting a new address until a hard reboot of the router resets everything and issues fresh addresses.

Anyone experienced this before? And I’m therefore tempted to replace / supplement the router to try to get it a fix — perhaps with Google WiFi?
16 REPLIES 16
gbear45
Grafter

Re: Devices losing connection / unable to connect

interesting having the same problem on a plusnet "home hub", really bad over the last few weeks. No idea why, may just buy a better router.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @swchairman,

I've checked the connection this side and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which explains the issues that you've had.

I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
swchairman
Hooked

Many thanks @Beyhive -- that's good to have. We're on a highly contended connection from the exchange to the street cabinet here, so my guaranteed minimum speed is only 0.8 Mb/s, though we usually get ~3.

But have to say, I'm not sure this is necessary a line-side fault, though: each time it's happened, the broadband connection has been fine for other devices attached to the network; it's just that particular devices are not able to rejoin the network at all.

I know my DHCP leases are set to 24 hours and that's why I think it's related: over this week, the Nest Protect will drop off the network (without any intervention) and complain and then seemingly rejoin the network almost exactly 24h later, again without intervention. Crazy beans.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @gbear45,

I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault that more than likely will be the thing causing the issues. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 2/1/2019 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're welcome @swchairman,

If it is mainly wireless devices that are getting affected, have you tried to change wireless channels within your router to see if it makes a difference?

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
gbear45
Grafter

Thanks.  Beehive, Been away and not checked forum.may well be an external fault as well, so thanks for picking that up.But after a lot of playing found out it was the 5Ghz wireless band causing probs , changed channels still no solution. Finally disabled the 5Ghz worked fine on just 2.4 Ghz. So not sure why, could be a router problem or interference. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@gbear45, see here.

@swchairman, how many devices do you have connected wirelessly? The Hub Zero has a pretty draconian hardware limitation that means it will struggle once 16 associations have been made.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

swchairman
Hooked

@bobpullen that sounds very possible — I’ve got at least 12 devices connected near permanently (IoT stuff, TVs, etc), with half a dozen or so coming and going. That would make sense: the problem was most acute when we had visitors / when I’ve worked from home (and so added two more devices). Time for a different router then, I guess?
swchairman
Hooked

I’ve just found this thread — https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Is-there-a-12-device-limit-to-connected-devices/td-p/1613710... — where you worked it out originally @bobpullen!

Yep, I have 5 x Google Home, 1 x iPad, 2 x Nest devices, 4 x TV / streaming devices, 2 x iPhones, 1 x printer connected near permanently, plus iPhones, iPads and laptops which come and go, so we’re on the limit of 16...

Is a Hub One the answer? I hesitate to say it but I never had this problem with my former ISP’s router...
gbear45
Grafter

once  i turned off the 5Ghz, all was well and could easily connect the devices. I have a hub one. I believe more devices can connect to 5Ghz than 2.4Ghz. but not sure what the limit is.

swchairman
Hooked

@gbear45 from what I’ve read elsewhere on here, don’t think that’s an option on the Hub Zero (I’m on the most basic broadband / router...) 😔
gbear45
Grafter

The zero is 2,4GHz,  only though a quick read on the internet would suggest such devices can have about 25 devices connected to them wirelessly

I would be tempted to buy a cheap commercial vdsl/fibre router  from argos. As long as yo know how to set it up it will do you a much better job.  Even plusnet realises there routers are very basic.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @gbear45

I've ordered you a Hub One router which should resolve this problem for you and you should receive it in the next few days.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MatthewWheeler  I believe @gbear45 already has a Hub1 see post #7. @swchairman  has the Hub0.