cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device connection limit on Home Hub 6

podsmum

Device connection limit on Home Hub 6

Hi

I wonder if someone would be able to help me.  We added Google Mini's to our home wifi over Christmas and soon discovered our old Plusnet router wouldn't support enough devices.  I was able to find the threads on here about swapping to a Home Hub 6 (and Plusnet also sent us a Hub One having contacted them initially).  I followed the instructions on setting up and everything seemed fine.  However, the kids then went back to Uni after Easter and when they popped home and their devices reconnected we noticed that we couldn't then connect all devices (usually the Printer as that gets turned off).  It wasn't a major problem as we just rebooted the modem and managed to get the printer to connect,  However, they are now home for the summer, we have added a Nest thermostat to the wifi and our eldest's girlfriend often stays so we are finding that more and more devices can't connect, this morning I can't connect my phone which was switched off overnight or the Nest thermostat.  Looking at my BT router page I see BT Smart Hub 25 devices and Wifi devices 24.  Has a limit recently been imposed on the number of devices and how do I get round this problem.  I am comfortable with following instructions but have very little understanding of all the tech speak, I have read a bit about spliitting the channels but not sure how to do this and then how to connect everything to different channels and then not even sure if this will help!

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Podsmum

4 REPLIES 4
podsmum

Re: Device connection limit on Home Hub 6

Actually, just checked the connected devices and it seems like only our TV and my tablet are currently connected to the wifi today so going to do a reset on the modem to try and sort this out, but we still seem to have a device limit despite whatever has caused this issue today.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have around 40 devices connected and no issues.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@podsmum 

Step 12 (the first one) tells you how to separate the bands. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

After splitting them if you go into each device’s available wireless networks settings you will now find there are the two SSIDs showing. Your devices will all be connected to the 2.4 GHz band. To change each to the 5GHz band you need to select tithe SSID now with -5 added and re-enter the password. The password is the same for both bands.

Will it help? I guess that the only way to find out is to try it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

podsmum

Thank you so much for your reply.  My eldest is away until next Thursday and the reset this morning seemed to get us all back online (must have been a blip because that's never happened before), so there is no immediate hurry to do this.  It is generally just the printer that has a wobbly so maybe I will seperate out the bands next time it happens and see if it sorts it out, if not, i'll go back to resetting the modem.

Thank you again