cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Limit

GSC

Device Limit

Is there a device limit on Plusnet? Recently, we are having to switch off wifi settings on one device to allow another to access. Is this new or do I need to do something further with the settings etc?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Device Limit

You mean does a Plusnet supplied router have a device limit?
Quite probably, but without knowing which router you have it's going to be difficult to advise.

Can you identify your router from one on the link below?
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/
GSC

Hi, yes, we have the 2704n router.

Thanks.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

More likely you have a slow broadband connection with too many devices competing for
your limited bandwidth, rather than any router limit.
GSC

I thought that may be the problem but if I for example turn my phone wifi off I can immediately connect my laptop but then cannot connect the phone again unless I turn something else off. It's also happening at all times of the day. Maybe that is the problem but how could I tell definitively? 

We are also looking at Sky Q but additional boxes work off a wifi connection so it would not be possible with our current set up.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

What is your download speed?

Unsure if this router is dual band; if so you could try renaming the 5ghz band, and restrict most important

devices to use that SSID. This band is far less populated currently.

Download a free prog like inSSIDER; then check what channels are being used in your locale. Switch
to least used ones.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Never seen any mention of a physical limit, but what have you got in the DHCP table. 

It might show the symptoms you describe if it is running out of IP addresses to allocate.

If you do as you say, switch off the phone and the laptop can then connect, or switch off the laptop and allow the phone to connect - does the "new" device get a different IP address, or the same one?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It possibly could be a channel issue. Can you try changing the WiFi channel by logging into the router settings at 192.168.1.254 and let us know if that helps?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet