Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed manual for Hub One and also port forwarding question

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Detailed manual for Hub One and also port forwarding question

Is there a PDF manual for the Hub One available?  I need to find out if port forwarding is available before deciding whether or not to use it in place of my original pusnet supplied netgear router/openreach DSL modem and I don't want to go to the trouble of disrupting my current set up to find out by poking around in the Hub One's menus.

Background:  My fibre broadband went down last week and plusnet decided the solution was a new router as the old one must be bust as there were authentication issues (they could see I was synced so the problem was somewhere within my system they said).  Despite the fact I was able to swap the netgear router for another which also could not connect.   They then decided it was the openreach modem.  Then before the Hub One arrives my fibre broadband started working again and has been stable ever since.

I suspect it was neither netgear router nor openreach modem issues.  The last time I had similar issues there was servicing work going on and I did spot an openreach van loitering at the end of my Close just prior to my service resuming!

Anyway the result was a Hub One landed today so I need to decide whether to use it.   It's got some features my existing router does not have (dual band wifi, usb port, gigabit ethernet) but my system is currently working fine so I am not sure I want to mess with it just to install a Hub One.

One crucial aspect to consider for me is I use port forwarding on the netgear ISP router to direct FTP traffic from my PC to a QNAP NAS drive connected to a router on a subnet (another netgear router) and I need that functionality.  With the two netgear routers this was very easy to set up.

4 REPLIES 4
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Re: Detailed manual for Hub One and also port forwarding question

I'm not aware of a detailed manual but I remember many saying it's a re-badged BT Home Hub 5a if there's a detailed manual for that somewhere.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

There isn't a manual available but I can confirm it does support Port Forwarding.

We can't assist you with setting it up I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
clownfish
Rising Star

Got it installed and port forwarding working as I require.  Two boxes down to one, so that is a result.

I am intrigued by the WAN port on the router.  My setup (that required the port forwarding) is basically PC->Hub One -> homeplug -> homeplug -> netgear router -> NAS drive.

I can now FTP things from the PC to the NAS as I require.

The Hub One obligingly allocated the same fixed IP address as was in use before when I connected the homeplug to a LAN port and it all worked.

However, isn't this what the WAN port should be used for????

UPDATE: found out the answer by google about the BT home hub 5.  It's for connecting to the (now not needed) openreach modem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy to hear you've got it working.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet