cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead wifi speed metres from router

Zelden

Dead wifi speed metres from router

Hey all,

There's been an ongoing issue with our Plusnet Hub One router (v. 4.7.5.1.83.8.263) where devices experience dial-up level speeds when outside of the immediate proximity of the router.

The router is in the living room of a small terraced house. The ethernet connection speed is 74.2 down, 18.4 up.

Below are the speeds from nearby rooms with estimated distance from router:

Bathroom (Floor above, 5-8m) - 1.72 down, 18.4 up
Front Room (Adjacted to living room, 10m) - 21.0 down, 7.38 up

Kitchen (Adjacted to living room, 5m) - 0.42 down, 14.3 up
Front Bedroom (Floor above, 10-12m) - 0.60 down, 0.42 up

Ping has been consistently fine with the tests. The signal strenght on the Wifi has been maximum bars during all tests.

Given the Wifi strength is high, I'm inclined to believe this could be an inteference issue more than anything else. However I'm also aware of the pinned post and unsure if this is causing any problems (though devices in the same room as the router are consistently fine and no devices appear to have connection drops)

2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz are both enabled sharing the same SSID and Channel Selection is set to "Automatic (Smart Wireless)"

There are 6 Wireless networks visible to join using mostly BT Hubs. We have no smart devices or anything else using our network - usually operating with two desktops (via ethernet), one laptop, two mobiles. 

Any suggested fixes would be appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Dead wifi speed metres from router

Hi there,

Looking at the devices you've got connected to your router they look to be split across both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency. Can you try desyncing the frequencies renaming one of the networks? 

You should then be able to connect to them at will and determine which network you're on when you're getting the slow speeds. If the issue is solely on the 5GHz frequency you'd likely be affected by the known issue on the pinned post at the top of this board, but if the 2.4GHz is affected I'd recommend changnig the wireless channel of this as the next step.

Let us know how you get on. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zelden

I split the frequencies and played around with the channels. Best I managed to get was a 3MB speed increase which still seems very slow.  The wifi signal remained strong during the tests so unsure if it's a signal problem or still related to inteference.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Zelden 

Hmm, have you always had this issue for the time you've been with us and using the Hub One?

If you haven't can you remember when the issue started and if there had been any changes (including the list of available wireless networks you're seeing on your devices)?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zelden

Unfortunately we've always had the issue, I've just been lazy about resolving it as the laptop seems close enough to the router to get a reasonable speed, desktops are ethernet connected and I've used mobile data on mobile. I've only sought to resolve the problem after hitting my data limit on mobile this month.

The One Hub is the one we received when starting the service about 18 months ago.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail @Zelden 

Rules out my theory of a router having developed a fault over time. When you joined us it doesn't look like we took over a working line, did you just move in to your property? If you did have a previous provider, did you have the same issues?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zelden

We got PlusNet when we moved into the property so no previous provider.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, if you've cycled through the wireless channels it may be worth downloading a WiFi analyzer app to see if there's a lot of congested channels and if that's the case a more powerful router or wireless booster may be the way to go.

Let me know how it goes though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet