cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily reboot necessary

egg1000
Dabbler

Daily reboot necessary

We had a network fail just over a week ago. Broadband was down for 24 hours. During this period I did a factory reset on the router to see if that would solve issue (as we still had a dial tone). I know my username and password and put them in carefully, but the day after, when I spoke to someone from plusnet, they said that was what the problem was, which didn't explain why it just went off in the first place. 

Prior to this, my event log had showed periods of activity, very intense firewall blocking, when the service would slow down. A reboot would solve the issue, but over time the problem would reoccur. Today we've had another slow down. I checked the event log expecting high intensity blocking, but it shows no activity for what appears to be 30 minutes before the reboot. Yet we were using it. 

There's also the GMT/BST clock issue, but I don't think that's the problem. The service becoming slow and requiring a reboot seems to be more and more frequent. 
Not sure what to do, thinking a timer might be a good idea to force a reboot each morning, but guess there's something else that's the problem? 

8 REPLIES 8
WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Re: Daily reboot necessary

Hi @egg1000, sorry to hear you're still having issues. Having checked the line this has found an external line fault. I've raised that to Openreach for you, there's a confirmation email on the way with further info.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
egg1000
Dabbler

Thank you for the update, and for testing the line. Reassuring to know it's something that can be improved. Looking forward to the fix.
egg1000
Dabbler

Any idea when openreach will be getting in touch? Performance isn't great at the moment although it's useable its inconsistent. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@egg1000  If it's an external fault Openreach will attempt to fix it and probably not contact you at all. Have PlusNet given any estimate for when it may be fixed? They should have sent an email or opened a ticket (question) on your account with more info.

egg1000
Dabbler

Just logged into my messages on my account, looks like it's been linked back to the original fault two weeks ago, I can see a lot of detail here that I previously hadn't had. Looks like tomorrow is the date openreach have given Plusnet, and follow up is set for day after. Which is useful.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @egg1000 

I've checked the fault report and I can see it's in hand with an engineer today.

Let us know if you're still having issues after so we can investigate further. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
egg1000
Dabbler

Thank you, yeah, engineer was with us for half the day. Recabled us to cab, new socket installed, ~10% faster and seems to be more reliable than it was previously.

egg1000
Dabbler

The noise that was eliminated on our line when the cable was swapped is back. And our internet keeps losing connection because of it. We can hear it when we're using the phone. So it's clear the line has another fault. Do we need to call again or can someone pick it up from here?