cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR setup with sagemcom 2704n router- accessing from network outside local network

JAY1477
Hooked

DVR setup with sagemcom 2704n router- accessing from network outside local network

Hi,

I am at my wits end with this. Ive been trying to config  my router to enable me to log onto my home  CCTV DVR from an outside location (work). I have read pages and pages of guides on this subject with still no joy.

Details of System:

4 Channel DVR

Internal network i.p 192.168.1.18

mobile pot: 34567

Http Port: 80

please see screen shot.

cctv config.jpg

If I use the dvr ip address from my laptop, it opens a web client which asks me for user name & password and then logs onto DVR no problem..

If I try from work by entering my public wan address xx.xxx.x.xxx - it either times out or errors. this I think tells me there is no ports forwarded. I have tested the ports mentioned earlier (80 & 34567) and it says they are closed.

Logging into the router and navigating to the advanced menu / port forwarding brings up a screen (please see attached image) So I create a new game / application and give it my dvr's name, then assign it to the ip of the dvr 192.168.1.18 which is already in the device drop down box and click add. Once added it appear in the box. If i click edit it opens the port forwarding - edit menu (see attached)

router 1.jpgrouter 3.jpg

I thought by entering the details and clicking apply would forward these ports. I test the ports again and nothing / not open

If somebody can tell me if im making a mistake or can guide me with the correct method I would be very grateful.

Yours Thankfully

Mr Loosing Hair by the Second

15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: DVR setup with sagemcom 2704n router- accessing from network outside local network

Hi,

My first reaction is that (unless you've made some significant changes to your router's network) the gate way configuration in the DVR is wrong.  The standard gateway address is 192.168.1.254

The DVR will respond within the LAN as there is no need to route via the gateway.  I suspect it's possible that the DVR is actually receiving the connect request, but it's replies are not being passed out of the network because the gate way address is wrong.

If you have changed the router's address then this is all hot air! Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JAY1477
Hooked

Re: DVR setup with sagemcom 2704n router- accessing from network outside local network

I have changed the setting as you suggested - thanks for the advice. I will try tomorrow from work.

Thanks Again

JAY1477
Hooked

Hi just a quick update:

I changed the setting on the dvr set up and still nothing.

I change my i.p to a fixed one now through my plusnet account  I found a link on this site regarding router features: http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html. I opened thid and had a look at the settings. I doubled checked that the correct ports were open and checked them also with port checker.

The next thing I tried was  Disabling the DHCP Server as n the picture below:Screenshot - 09_05_2016 , 21_14_08.jpg

(picture does say enabled - but please read on) When I got to work the next day I entered the static External IP address followed by : and the port number and sure enought the web client displayed were i entered my details and I could veiw the cameras.

When I got home that night I noticed that 2 mobile phones and my daughters tablet could not connect. They couldnt obtain an IP address no matter what I tried. I enabled the dhcp again and they connected but I could not view cameras from work the following day.

Can anybody shed some light on this please

Thank You

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@JAY1477

Are you still using 192.168.1.18 as the IP address for the camera system and that is hard coded onto the DVR?

If so, I would suggest that you amend the "Start IP Address" to be 192.168.1.20 on the DHCP setup shown in message 4.

As it is, there is a conflict between the fixed 192.168.1.18 address and the DHCP server thinking it has the right to issue that address too.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
JAY1477
Hooked

Yes I am still using the 192.168.1.18 on dvr, it is not fixed in the dvr - it can be changed.

Will try what you suggest - thank you

tomh1978
Hooked

Hi Jay is this now working ?  Can you do a step by step guide to what you have done  before I launch my DVR haha

I just cannot get it to connect at work Sad

JAY1477
Hooked

Yes its working fine now and yes I would be glad to help after the headache it gave me

dsbiggles
Hooked

Hi there

I was going to start a new thread but this one seems to be relevant. I am trying to set up my DVR. I have set the 'gateway' in the DVR to 192.168.1.254. Then, I went to the router to set up port forwarding. However, when I go to the pull down menu to find the 'device' I can only see my PC. Checking on the 'Basic Settings' it only shows my PC as a 'wired' device. I have watched numerous vids about connecting DVRs and many seem to give conflicting advice.
Currently, on the DVR, TCP/IP Type is set as 'static'
IP address of the DVR is 192.168.001.223
Gateway is 192.168.001.254
'Media port' is 09000
and 'web port' is 0088.

Can anyone offer any advice?
From what I can gather, you plug in the DVR to the router, set the Gateway in the DVR to match the router and then forward the relevant ports. ?

dsbiggles
Hooked

Update - rebooted the DVR and now the router has it in the 'device' pull down.
So, I chose 'add a new game' etc I have set the ports at 88..88...88...88 across the page on one line and then 9000... 9000.... 9000... 9000 on the next line.

However, if I then try to log in from my PC using the DVR's IP address and then :88 it gives an error. If I just try the IP address itself it comes up with a login window and says it is connected to My Shares. Tried logging in with the DVR user/password - no joy. However, if I try logging in with my PC's network password it brings up some odd Netgear screen with 'no shares' on it.
Tried pinging the DVR from the command prompt and no reply - although the router can still see it on the Home menu.

Totally perplexed.

JAY1477
Hooked

ok first of all what type of router is it and also what type of dvr system is it (make & models please)

dsbiggles
Hooked

It's a PlusNet 2704n router

The DVR is a SA-2110A - I think the brand is Sanan. There is a manual here for a slightly different model (2107A) but the menus/software seem the same. Differences seem to be that the USB plug on mine is on the back, not the front. Remote etc is identical

http://www.sanan.hu/letolt/manualen/SANAN%20SA-2107A,%20SA-2107B%20ENG%20telepitoi.pdf

dsbiggles
Hooked

BTW - thanks for replying! Also, got to the bottom of why I was getting an odd Netgear screen - the DVR has the same default IP address as a Netgear storage device on the company network. So, if I am logged in to the company VPN I see that, not the DVR. However, logging out of the VPN etc I still can't 'see' the DVR.

JAY1477
Hooked

give me an hour or so I will have a guide for you

dsbiggles
Hooked

Nice one. Many thanks!