cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Sync Speed Different Modem/Routers

pyrodave

DSL Sync Speed Different Modem/Routers

I noticed I wasn’t getting my minimum guaranteed speed when doing a wired speed test. I got around 52mbps. My minimum is 58. I tried an older (inferior) router and the speed test did improve slightly to 56mbps. What's curious is the DSL statistics shown on the old router are better than that of the new router. My current router a TP Link VR900 has a current upstream of 13668kbps and downstream of 61042. Maximum of 13743 and 63361. However, in contrast, the older router, a TP Link N600 has a current upstream of 19876 and downstream of 64750. Maximum of 199941 and 64941. I believe this is affecting the speed but I don't understand why the DSL sync speeds are different when switching routers.

Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: DSL Sync Speed Different Modem/Routers

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
markuswelby
Rising Star

Although I do not know why....

On my Draytek Vigor 2862 modem/router I get an actual sync down rate of 67.6 Mbps and max Attainable Rate 67.7 Mbps

Whereas, on 3 others,a ZyXel, a New TP-Link and a vodafone (Huawei) they all sync about 3 mbps lower at around an actual 64.6 and max attainable 65.7.

Running speed tests on all of them, the throughput down is always a bit lower than the sync down rate.

For example 63 / 64 mbps on the Draytek and 60 / 61 on the other three.

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
pyrodave

Thanks for the reply. That matches the behaviour I'm getting.
pyrodave

TP Link customer support said;
> I think you can just check with your Internet Service Provider about the line status.
> The DSL line status depends on the connection with the ISP's server.
> You can also check the problem another day reboot the Modem to see the negotiation DSL speed.
> It will change every time building the DSL connection with ISP's server.

Should the sync speed change through rebooting the router?
markuswelby
Rising Star

@pyrodave wrote:
Should the sync speed change through rebooting the router?

In my case no, It's almost identicle to within 0.1 Mbps compared to the previous time I connected the same modem /router.

However, if swap one modem / router for another, I always switch the running modem off first and wait just over 35 to 40 minutes before powering up the next modem / router.

I've read it's best to do this, aparently because after 30 minutes the current session will end and the DLM will treat it as a power cut and exclude those two 15 minute intervals as not being a connection issue. Something along those lines anyway.

In my case though it's fast path (no interleave), INP an G.IMP are not enabled on my street cabinet. I don't know if any of these were enabled if that could make it different or not.

The only execption i've had once, was when the max attainable rate fell below the actual rate. Then when I did a reboot, the actual rate fell to just slightly below the max rate.

Maybe some other people have experienced different this if they have INP or G.IMP enabled, although I can't recall anyone saying anything about this.

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit