cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL-AC88U connection problems

Sharky
Hooked

DSL-AC88U connection problems

Hi, Having had enough of suffering with poor unstable wifi signal, I took the plunge and purchased a RT-AC68U, but quickly found (PlusNet Community) that this was not compatible!

So, returned the item and purchased the DSL-AC88U. The 1st unit was collected yesterday morning..... and returned yesterday afternoon, when after several frustrated hours, I could not access the Quick set-up page, nor could the router be found with the discovery tool.

ASUS support also attempted several different approaches, but still could not access 192y.168.1.1 - it only ever showed a blank white page (from home PC and work laptop).

The reset button is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, as the unit refused to re-start and/or blink slowly.

ASUS said it must be a hardware fault and to return under warranty, which I did. I opted for a replacement and guess what!..... exactly the same issues with the new unit, so it surely can't be a hardware fault, unless the whole batch are faulty

I have internet access when using the PlusNet Hub1, but as soon as I attempt to connect directly to the DSL-AC88U, I loose all connectivity. As a last resort, I've even tried the set-up process as per the RT-AC68U where you link it through the Hub 1, but still nothing.

Frustrated doesn't come close!!

I've tried every option I can find on general web forums / ASUS F&Q / PlusNet Community

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
dfunked
Grafter

Re: DSL-AC88U connection problems

Is the hub one turned off while you're doing this and have you connected to it via a network cable for the initial setup?... Set one up the other day without any issues (apart from the menus being in German!)

Connect via a network cable and point your browser to 192.168.1.1

Sharky
Hooked

Hi, I've had the Hub 1 disconnected completely and switched off, then rebooted my pc. The AC88U has been connected by Ethernet cable to the pc and directly connected to the primary Openreach socket. Once set-up like this, I loose all connectivity and cannot access the web. If I leave the AC88U on and remove and re-connect the Ethernet cable into lan 1 or 4, it immediately attempts to open the QIS page, but the screen remains blank, without any error messages.

I've tried and the ASUS tech (yesterday) tried pointing my browser to 192.168.1.1 and also https://router.asus.com, but just get the same result. It is the same when trying to use my work laptop, so now wondering if it is something to do with how PlusNet are providing my broadband??? (complete novice)

thanks

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

'I loose lose all connectivity and cannot access the web ' is to be expected as you haven't supplied the router with your Plusnet authentication details yet, that happens through the QIS process.

My DSL-AC88U worked out of the box but I use Pale Moon as my default browser, have you tried a different browser?

Sharky
Hooked

Initially Edge as I'm running Windows 10, but also with basic Internet Explorer, so only Microsoft.

Spent 50 mins with ASUS tech support again this morning and he couldn't get it working. He thinks it may be a compatibility issue with the firmware and Windows 10, so has raised a ticket within ASUS to review the issue further.

Footnote - before realising that the initial RT-AC68U I purchased a couple of weeks ago, was not compatible with PlusNet, I was able to access the QIS when attempting set-up that router...

dfunked
Grafter

Can't say I had any issues connecting to mine (using Windows 10 and Chrome), so compatibility issues with Windows 10 seems a bit of a stretch - it just opened first time for me via http://192.168.1.1

Any third party firewalls or stuff like that on your laptop that might be restricting it? Seems very odd that it worked fine on the RT, but not the DSL
Browni
Aspiring Hero

I'm also using Windows 10 and can access the router home page using Edge & IE.

Are your network settings set to get IP address & DNS automatically?

Sharky
Hooked

Yes, the settings are ticked to get IP address & DNS automatically

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Are you using the WAN socket to connect to the phone line?

Sharky
Hooked

No, I am using the WAN port to hard wire to the computer during set-up. For connection to the telephone line, I am using the DSL port.

dfunked
Grafter

You want to use port 1-4 to connect to your laptop, not the WAN one.
Browni
Aspiring Hero

That's half way there! With Plusnet the WAN port isn't used and the PC should be connected to one of the yellow LAN ports.

If you enter ipconfig at a command line, what is the result?
Sharky
Hooked

Yes, your correct, I meant it was port 1 or four which I used. I did mention in my original post that when I re-connected to either port 1 or 4, I would see the QIS page attempt to open, but only manage to provide a blank screen with any error message.

It was the WAN port I used when, I also tried to copy the set-up highlighted in the RT set-up process, by connecting the PlusNet device via the WAN port.

Sharky
Hooked

OK. I've typed in the command and entered. It shows the IPv4 address and subnet mask for the Ethernet adapter and a whole list of media disconnected for wireless LAN adapter local area connection, wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi and a couple of tunnel adapters

Browni
Aspiring Hero

What's the IPv4 address of the ethernet adapter?