cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server address

kwelham
Hooked

DNS server address

I have a Netgear D6400, newly bought to enable me to port forward for an IP security camera. On a Port Forwarding website, where I am trying to learn how to set up a static IP address, it is suggested that I ask my ISP for a couple of DNS server addresses, but the Plusnet tech help man said that Plusnet do not support port forwarding. I am swimming around in the dark here and have no clear idea what a DNS server address is, and whether I can get around the problem of Plusnet not giving me one. Can anyone help?

5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: DNS server address

You shouldn't need a DNS server address to configure port forwarding. Typically you're automatically assigned DNS addresses when your router connects to us. The port forwarding is independent of that.

If you need to configure something then you can use any two from the following. Note that these will bypass our parental control/Safeguard service if you're using it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@kwelham

I've always used Open DNS ( https://www.opendns.com/ ) with Plusnet and I'm sure the Netgear will allow you to set these DNS servers.

A one off payment to Plusnet gets you a static IP address (reserved I guess) and you can then set filtering rules with Open DNS and get logs.

The static (external) IP address will simplify remote access to your cameras although security cameras seem to be a popular device to hack.

I'm sure that a device like the Netgear D6400 will allow you to reserve (internal) IP addresses for cameras.

I am the satisfied customer....
kwelham
Hooked

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid I am a very slow worker when it comes to this sort of dabbling with technical data. I will eventually get round to using a couple of the ip addresses you have given me. Firstly, I need to read and digest the content of the other reply I have received from markhawkin before I take the plunge. Basically, I have to go step by step from very clear instructions, all the time petrified that I will make some stupid mistake that will lock up my computer. If your advice solves my problem I will post again. Onwards and upwards!

kwelham
Hooked

Thank you for replying. May I ask what is the nature of a hack on a security camera? Is a hacker able to render the camera inoperative, or is it merely that a hacker can get to view the camera's live footage?

And is your final comment about the possibility of a reserved (internal) IP address something that will preclude the need for a static IP? 

As you can guess, I am largely clueless about these things. I am now going to read the link about Open DNS that you sent.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To reiterate what I said in my previous post, you shouldn't need to do anything with DNS.

It might help to share the make/model of the IP cam so we can provide more specific assistance.

e.g. I have an IP cam on my network. I have done nothing with DNS. I've simply set up a port forwarding rule to direct external traffic to the internal IP address of the IP cam.

To access the stream remotely, I then browse to the IP assigned to my Internet connection (or a Dynamic DNS host name). It's this external access that is arguably made easier if you have bought a static IP from us.

A lot of IP cams have apps/websites that manage a lot of this for you without you having to mess around with port forwarding (the camera uses UPnP to open the necessary ports automatically).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵