cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problem

fezztah

DNS problem

New fibre hub one installed two days ago. Initially worked fine, then one device couldn't display any websites, DNS error (a win10 laptop). Reconfigure the laptop to use OpenDNS
(208.67.222.222) and the laptop starts working again. Anybody know what's going on?
11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: DNS problem

Thanks for your post @fezztah 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

Are you able to replicate this behaviour on a different device?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fezztah

Hi,

just this morning I noticed my phone had a good connection to the router, but there was no internet access and it had switched to mobile data. The phone had previously been working fine. Other devices were connected at the same time and accessing the net no problem. I didn't know how to do the DNS server trick on Android so I just rebooted the router and the phone reconnected and was fine. I notice others had mentioned that rebooting or altering the DNS server were workarounds for the problem. Obviously it's not good if this is going to happen regularly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @fezztah 

If some devices are working fine but others aren't this seems to point the issue is with those affected devices.

Unless those devices you mention that were working fine are using OpenDNS?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf
Perhaps it is the 5 GHz WiFi problem.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Insult(s) removed as per Forum rules.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@fezztah
Do you think you may have this problem? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363
Rebooting the router does sort this one.
For some reason Plusnet took offence to me asking the same question in the previous post.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@NigeBoy the OP hasn’t mentioned 5GHz so I didn’t want to automatically assume they’re having that same issue because it isn’t affecting everybody. To assume the problem is related to the 5GHz may ultimately delay getting to the bottom of the problem they’re experiencing. 

In addition and I may be remembering wrong but I’m fairly sure when I checked, their devices weren’t connecting to the 5GHz frequency. 

I do hope this helps. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf
This isn't the place for that discussion. Agreed.
But nobody said it wasn't 5Ghz and assuming that it isn't the same bug that bobpullen has suggested is affecting hundreds of thousands of customers seem a little naive.
Just trying to be helpful and honest.
Assuming that it is a known bug rather than assuming all the OPs devices have suddenly developed a fault since he joined Plusnet seems like a good bet to me.
If only William Hill (other bookmakers are available) would take my bet....
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@NigeBoy I just didn’t want to jump to conclusions. It’s also possible this may be down to 2.4GHz wireless interference as it’s fair to assume that the OP was using a different router before moving to us, as routers change channels automatically by default so the Hub One may have chosen a more congested channel. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fezztah

Hi,

it's not the devices, I only got the plusnet router a few days ago, all devices worked perfectly before that using a sky router. No problems since the reboot, but it's only been 24hrs. Out of interest, the laptop that only works now with OpenDNS is on the 5GHz band, the other devices are on the 2.4GHz band. Let's see if it all stays connected for a day or two.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @fezztah 

If you experience this issue again can you let us know what wireless frequency the devices are on and which DNS server you’re using?

Could you also let us know the same for the devices which don’t drop connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@NigeBoy wrote:
... that bobpullen has suggested is affecting hundreds of thousands of customers seem a little naive.

I haven't suggested this (not intentionally anyway!) I'm of the opinion that the 5GHz problem affects a relatively small proportion of the hundreds of thousands of routers we have in circulation.

Given that the OP says things spring back to life when DNS addresses are explicitly configured, then my money is on the problem described here.

@fezztah, the same questions I asked in the post linked above apply here too if you're able to answer them?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵