Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Settings

FIXED
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

DNS Settings

I want to reconfigure my DNS settings. This is because I'm not totally sure my Plusnet connection is 100% reliable 24x7 but I could be wrong. The change would be a test. I'm on the 55/10 fibre package giving me a true 22/3.

My Y-Cam security cameras are sensitive things and of late they have been showing short frequent random disconnections. According to Y-Cam they have had no issues their end. Sunday was particularly bad with the cameras going offline most of the day. They have been fine since.

However, during the disconnections I can still surf and a speedtest shows my normal down and up speeds.

I can change primary and secondary on the PC or via the router interface.

Windows ipv4 would allow me to specify Plusnet as one of the options whilst the Asus interface would limit me to the likes ot Google and OpenDNS as primary and secondary.

What's the best/recommended DNS ploy?

Thanks

Let's be careful out there !
2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: DNS Settings

Before you start messing about with DNS settings:

• Do you know if you've been moved to the new network?
  • Are you on a static IP?

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/td-p/1354749

Re DNS servers, there are Google DNS servers co-located in or very near the Plusnet data centres on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I've been using them for ages.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: DNS Settings

Fix

Update:

On my Asus router I've left the DNS 1 as auto but I've set DNS 2 as Google 8.8.8.8

That was a week ago.

Since then I've not had a single security camera random short disconnection issue.

This could of course be totally coincidental.

Let's be careful out there !