Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

FIXED
Mark69

Re: DNS Issues

Hi Bob.

I switched over to PlusNet 2 days ago, and i have had to reset my router multiple times because of this damn bug.

My router is running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Please could I get an update? 

Thanks,

Mark.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Mark69 - Apologies for the delayed response. I've just pushed an update to your router that will hopefully help. You'll need to switch your hub off/back on again to apply it.

@Aberdream - Guessing I was too late in your case as it looks like you've left? Let me know if that's not the case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

leesytommy

Hi Bob,

I switched over to PlusNet for 2 months and encountered multiple times the DNS issue. Finally managed to find this thread and see a possible solution. Much appreciated that you can help to update my Hub One. My router is running version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 at this moment.

Thanks and regards,

Tommy

jonokimber

Hi @bobpullen I'm struggling with DNS issues on several devices in my household.  Been with PlusNet about a month now and definitely something wrong.  Plusnet Hub On Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, is there any chance I can have the update please?  

jonokimber

Hi @bobpullen any news on the post above with a request please?

Thanks.

jonokimber

Hi 

@bobpullen any news on the post above with a request please?

Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jonokimber and @leesytommy - looks like both of your hubs have already been upgraded?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jonokimber

Yes thanks Bob.  I am now.   Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 15/11/21

In general things are steady now but we suffer greatly with 2.4ghz devices having such a slow speed, even when positioned close to the hub.  maybe i'll do some reading and start a new thread if i have to.

infracom

Hi Bob,

I have just found this thread. I have been having what seems like the same DNS issue. I have been with Plusnet for many years, initially with Plusnet directly, then with John Lewis who used the Plusnet network and servers, and since April this year again with Plusnet directly. I have continued to use the old router, a  VMG8924-B10A, because it performs better than the one supplied by Plusnet in April. My solution is to bypass the Plusnet DNS by using a VPN on my PC, Macbook and ipad, until it is convenient to restart the router. But why does this keep happening?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@infracom - unless I'm mistaken, you can't be subject to the same DNS issue as you're using a completely different router/modem Huh

This thread is specific to those using the Plusnet Hub One.

If you really suspect the Plusnet DNS resolvers are the cause of your problem, then the VMG8924 allows you to override the DNS with a third party's if you so choose.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

infracom

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  I have a Plusnet Hub One but other than connecting it to check everything worked when it first arrived I have never used it.

It seems to be a DNS issue. It is as if the Plusnet DNS is not there or has changed its address. Does Plusnet drop its DNS sometimes or switch to different DNS servers and expect the router to recognise the new DNS IP address without a reboot?  I have noticed that what the router regards as Primary and Secondary DNS Servers sometimes swap places. I don't like hardcoding IP DNS address into the router. 

I had never encountered this problem until a few months ago but it has happened occasionally since then, the last time being almost exactly two weeks ago. On that occasion Primary DNS and Secondary DNS addresses swapped (from P-12.259.6.10 and S-212.259.6.9 to P-212.259.6.9 and S-212.259.6.10).  

Many thanks for your time. I wish it was a Hub One issue!.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The order of the DNS addresses doesn't matter. They're anycast addresses that don't necessarily reflect the actual server that is resolving your requests.

If you haven't hard coded anything, then your devices will actually be using the router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.1), rather than our servers, and the router will be forwarding the request upstream to us.

You could do worse than establish whether or not it's our servers or the router causing you problems the next time it happens.

From a Windows command line of a connected device that is experiencing the problem:-

nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10

Will carry out a lookup direct to our DNS servers, whilst:-

nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.1

Will carry out a lookup using the router's forwarder.

Our DNS servers are not designed to drop traffic like you describe and their configuration is fairly dormant. Both my own personal monitoring and that of the wider business is not indicative of any issues either Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

infracom

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your very useful and helpful reply. The next time this happens I will do as you suggest to check if it is my router. You are much appreciated.