Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

FIXED
Dunter
Hooked

Re: DNS Issues

Thanks BigDan i'll contact plusnet for the update, surly they'd need to roll out the update for everyone? I am the point of buying a different router 

BigDanT
Hooked

I got to the same point as you but this firmware update seemed to fix my issue.

Apparently it’s got something to do with using a vpn on the network.

I wouldn’t bother calling Plusnet tech support, I asked this question and they didn’t really seem to know what to do. @bobpullen is your man, is message him directly
tweak14
Dabbler

Hello, can I get this firmware update please too? I'm on the following too.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 30/01/19
huntr

Hi @bobpullen,  I have been experiencing intermittent DNS issues for the last few months.  DNS times out for a few seconds up to a minute or two.  Is there anything that can be done on the router?   thanks.

sinksy88
Hooked

@BigDanT it does seem odd that plusnet support did not seem aware of the update route - one would have thought they would push out out to everyone or at the very least try it as an option for people rather than them having to find out about it on the forum, without sending them around the houses with other fixes which they must know won't necessarily fix the issue!

Dunter
Hooked

I've now got the new update, bit early to tell if it's fixed the problem but so far so good, I ended up getting another new plusnet router too try fix the problem.
If I plug in the 2nd spare one will it pickup the update too?
With they'd unlock more option and let people update it or change the DNS setting them selves if they want.
lozzy2

I've been experiencing the exact same problems described in this thread, what's the best way to go about getting the firmware update?
BigDanT
Hooked

Hi,

Yeah i agree, I asked could this issue be fixed via a firmware update and the support person said he wasnt aware about those kinds of fixes and he'd have to talk to the "Product Team".....

I think the tech support team are good when it comes to general problems like connectivity issues and line problems (as they can run checks).

But as this problem seems very niche to VPN usage it probably doesnt come up that often.

D.

sinksy88
Hooked

@Dunter I think I read somewhere else that it won't work with another of the same ones (that too would need the new firmware pushed to it), so best not if the one you're using is now ok.

Dunter
Hooked

Still having problems, going to look at getting an aftermarket router before the online gamers in the house go completely bananas  😠

ChrisJC

I'm also having what seems like the same issue. After using my work's VPN, the internet isn't accessible for devices that aren't on a VPN. Setting static DNS on devices where possible fixes it.

Would it be possible to get the firmware updated please?

Thanks,

Chris

amanda73

I’m also having the same issues with the PlusNet router, local DNS resolution failing, even after reboots, unless I override the DNS configuration on each device to bypass. Could I get the firmware fix pushed to my hub please?

RobBlundell

After weeks spent trying to diagnose it with the support team, wasting time faffing with the router settings, and then finding these answers in the forums, I don't know whether to be happy that this does seem to be the answer, or annoyed that PN didn't advance this solution themselves (before it became an issue).

Please could I also get the firmware update?  Currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

(Paging @bobpullen who is obviously the Guru )

huntr

I don’t think the fix was ever applied for me - not sure if others who recently requested it have had it applied? Ive since bought a Wi-Fi mesh system that has the option to configure the DNS servers. Since moving over to OpenDNS have not had any issues.

Really don’t understand why PN are not being more proactive about this. Figure there must be something else up with the firmware fix.
RobBlundell

Hi @huntr thanks for replying too.  I am also considering ditching the wifi on the PN hub and going to a mesh system.   Probably the BT full home system as it is triband and has three nodes as standard. 

Which are you using?