Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: DNS Issues

@tonygould - yes, you'd be able to change the DNS servers assigned to the router using telnet.

That said, I see you have since had a Hub One shipped out to you. When it arrives, give me a nudge and I'll push a firmware update that mitigates some of the known issues. There's a good chance you wouldn't be affected by any of them, but better safe than sorry, and it seems like you've already been inconvenienced a fair bit.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tonygould

hi Bob

Yeah it has been pretty bad. The guy I talked to on the phone was very helpful. He had some ideas about what might be causing it but we couldn't pin anything down for certain. In the end I said when I'd started up a 24-month contract in Q1 this year I'd have asked for a new router if I'd have known one was available, and he managed to find a way to make that happen for me "after the fact". A lot of people / companies could have stuck to the letter of the law and told me to get lost and stick with the existing setup for the next 18 months, so I was very pleased to get the new router sent out to me, and it has been very easy to set up.

Tony.

Re

> private message me your device serial number, MAC address and account username

on its way shortly. Thanks!

markbennett

Hi @bobpullen 

I'm having the exact same issues as described in this thread. DNS not resolving until router re-boot and the only work around has been to manually bypass the router DNS on devices where it's possible. But can't do that on all devices connected to the network. Can you try updating the firmware on my hub One to resolve the issue please.

henrybear007

Hi @bobpullen

I’m also having the same issues with the PlusNet router, local DNS resolution failing, even after reboots, unless I override the DNS configuration on each device to bypass. Could I get the firmware fix pushed to my hub please?

Thank you!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@henrybear007 - when you say "even after reboots", what do you mean? Are you saying that you still have the issue immediately following a router reboot? If so, it's unlikely your issue is related.

I have pushed an update to your router regardless to rule it out. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it.

@markbennett - I've dropped you a private message.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

henrybear007

Thanks @bobpullen ! Have rebooted the hub and so far multiple tests (example nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.254) are resolving immediately. I'll monitor and keep you posted.

The issue has always been intermittent, but more recently it had become something like 70-90% of local DNS query resolution timing out at 192.168.1.254. Hence my move to switch to 8.8.8.8 everywhere I could. To clarify my previous comment of "even after reboots", this related to both the hub and a PC reboot which did nothing to improve the 70-90% failure rate of local DNS resolution.

I do use a VPN connection for work, I didn't yet make a correlation between the DNS resolution issues and proximity to connecting to the VPN. Just to be explicit, I have been disconnected from the VPN when observing the hub DNS timeouts, and whilst I am connected to the VPN I do not see a problem as the DNS configuration is inherited from the VPN connection and resolves OK.  Did I see somewhere that specific circumstances around VPN connectivity was as potential cause?

Cheers

James

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James - yes VPN activity can be a trigger.

There are circumstances that can lock up the routers DNS resolution tables and one of these circumstances can be triggered by public DNS lookups that resolve to local/private IP addresses. I could argue that configuring DNS like this is not very good practice, however I know people do it, and it's much more likely to be encountered in a VPN scenario.

Once the tables are full/stuck - i t won't matter whether or not you are connected to the VPN. The only thing that will clear the router from the bad state is to reboot it.

That said, you should hopefully be OK now with the update that I've pushed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

BigDanT
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen,

I've been having the exact same DNS issues on my hub one router the last week or so with the DNS going down.

Is there any chance I could also get the firmware fix ?

We're currently on "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/01/19".

Had the hub one since last year with no complaints, then for the last week I've had to reboot it almost daily (Sometime twice a day) to get the internet back up.

AndyH3

Hi @bobpullen,

I've been having the same DNS issues on my hub one router - please see the thread linked below.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/DNS-server-not-responding-fibre-connection/m-p/1782053...

Is there any chance I could also get the firmware fix ?

Thanks,

A.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@BigDanT & @AndyH3 - I've just pushed an update to your respective routers. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply it.

Let me know how it goes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

BigDanT
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen ,

Thanks for the update.

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, I rebooted the router which says I'm now on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289

However it says Last updated 27/01/19.

I'm guessing this is fine, I just wanted to check though.

Thanks

Dan

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, that's fine Dan. You were on .263 previously. The timestamp won't have updated due to the method I used.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

AndyH3

Hi @bobpullen ,

Thats great, thanks.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Andy.

Dunter
Hooked

Do we have to request the firmware update as ive tried resetting and restarting and the router never updates 

Please advise

BigDanT
Hooked

Yes!

Works like a charm for me, no more DNS issues since the update.

Thanks @bobpullen