Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

FIXED
IanSudbery
Grafter

Re: DNS Issues

Oops, sorry. I was connected to my office VPN and didn't notice. Should be fixed now. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@IanSudbery - thanks.

I've pushed what is hopefully a full firmware fix to your device. It will have rebooted yesterday to apply the change.

Please keep an eye on it and let me know at the first sign of a recurrence - although I'm hoping there won't be one!

Thanks again for your help in getting to the bottom of things 👍

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Bob

FYI - I have had the DNS lookup issue again last week and yesterday! - I restarted the Hub One using the button to resolve.

I have been on .273 firmware since 17th August. So this issue seems to be more prevalent with .273 than it was with .263 as that went for many months without the issue being apparent!

Thanks

Henry Kafeman

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@HKafemanPC I can push the same build to your device if you're willing to give it a go but I can't guarantee that it won't re-introduce the Wi-Fi issues that led to you requesting the .273 update. Now that I think we know the cause of the DNS issue, there's no logical reason why it would be any worse on .273 compared to earlier builds. If anybody is homeworking and using a VPN, then that can exacerbate the issue. Let me know what you'd like to do.

@IanSudbery - Am I safe to assume there hasn't been another occurrence of the issue in the last week or so?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

@bobpullen We had an incidence the same day that you informed us the update had been installed the day before, but I'm going to put that down the router having not restarted since the update. Since then its been plain sailing, so I guess I'll mark this as fixed. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hmm, I'm sure I remember restarting it - so continue to keep an eye on things and let me know at the first sign of problems. We've definitely resolved one of the conditions leading to this issue by the looks of things. That's not to say there aren't more though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Everything still good @IanSudbery?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

Yep, no issues on the DNS front as yet. 

We have had a few connection drops, but I'm going to assume for the moment that these are unrelated. 

rob_bob

@bobpullen I am also experiencing similar dns issues, if I set a static dns server (google's 8.8.8.8) then my laptop starts working again but all the other devices in the house still don't have internet access (although they are still connected to the wifi). Is it possible to get the firmware update installed on my router too?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rob_bob - I've pushed an update to your router. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tonygould

@bobpullen I've been seeing DNS issues for some time. It's really really frustrating. Same MO -- if I change to google DNS devices are unaffected, switching the router off and on fixes the problem, etc. Can you help?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@tonygould - I can't see a Hub One associated with your account. If you're using one, then would you mind private messaging me your device serial number, MAC address and account username please?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tonygould

hi @bobpullen, thanks for replying. I'm not sure I have a hub one. I've just got whatever standard router I was issued with,Technicolor TG582n FTTC. We've been experiencing these DNS issues for a very long time -- this week it's particularly bad (some other weeks it hasn't been such a problem). This thread seems to indicate that you understand the source of the DNS problem. Is it something related to the plus net network? Or can I fix it at my end?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The issue being discussed here is due to a fairly uncommon combination of events that occur with particular DNS responses and the way the Hub One handles them. It's therefore not relevant to your case.

If you think it will help, the DNS servers assigned to your router can be changed. It involves a degree of technical capability though as you'll need to make the changes using telnet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tonygould

Ah, ok. TBH, I don't know whether or not it would help -- the reason I went on to this thread was because I came across someone who seemed to understand the technicalities. Are you suggesting it's possible to change the DNS on the router to google's servers, or to some other alternative? Given that google's DNS servers continue to work when the DNS issue happens, that could be worth a shot.

I've been a happy plus net customer since 2001, but this problem has been happening for a year or three (maybe since I upgraded to fibre?) and it's getting to be a real issue for us. I put up with the frequent complaints from family members and having to reset the router because I thought that it would be  unlikely to get hold of someone who understood the problem.

I'm happy to try telnet. I'm very comfortable using linux command line (and cmd on windows when I have to). I normally run ubuntu 18.04 at home (where telnet is already installed), only going into Windows to run netflix / games.

The other thing I don't understand is, should I really have a Hub One rather than the modem / route combination I have? Given I'm on unlimited fibre.