Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

FIXED
IanSudbery
Grafter

Re: DNS Issues

Thanks @Gandalf , I'll let you know how it goes. 

IanSudbery
Grafter

@Gandalf Happened again even after the change over to a static IP. I could do an nslookup if I specified the plusnet DNS servers directly, but not if I used the forwarding in the router. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Ah that's disappointing, I've asked Bob for some further advice and I'll post back when I know more

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@IanSudbery you're definitely connected to the Hub One still when this happens right? i.e. you can still browse to http://192.168.1.254 from an affected machine?

It's also only recoverable by rebooting the hub?

How long can you survive with things in the broken state? If you're willing to work around the issue for a period of time, then I'd like the opportunity to try and grab some diagnostics from your router when it's happening to try and work out what's going on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

IanSudbery
Grafter

@bobpullen Yes, I can still access the Hub, and if we hardcode the plusnet DNS address into our network adapter setting on our windows machines, we can browse more or less normally. Obviously this would be a problem if we needed move our laptops to another network, and I'll be going back to work a day a week from next week, so I will be shifting networks. Also as far as I can tell, this isn't possible with iOS or android devices, so I'd rather not use this as a long term solution, but we can probably do it short term for you to have a look at it. 

IanSudbery
Grafter

@bobpullen It has happened again already. I will leave it in this state for as long as we can get away with. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @IanSudbery and apologies for the radio silence.

Is the hub still in use/in the same state? Interestingly I don't seem to be able to communicate with it, despite my best efforts to put it into a state that I thought would allow me to.

Neither does it appear to have contacted the management platform since you last posted, although I'd expect that if it can't resolve hostnames.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

Yes, its still in the same state, and we are still  using it via the google DNS servers. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, can you reboot the router when you get the opportunity please? I'd like to establish whether or not that then allows me to communicate with it.

Depending on the outcome, I'd like to either wait for another failure - or try an alternative software build that contains some DNS config changes to see if it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

Hi, Sorry only just saw this as the notification was sent to spam. I've rebooted the router. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, looks like it was something I did wrong as that didn't help 🙄

I've revisited the situation and hopefully put your router into the correct state this time. All being well, this will let me gather the info I need the next time the issue occurs.

Let me know when things go South again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

@bobpullen 

Well that didn't take long! Its gone in into the broken state again.

Let me know if you'd like me to leave it there or restart it. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@IanSudbery, can you restart please? I'm still having difficulty accessing the device when it's in the failure state. We'll give it one more shot before I try a different approach.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IanSudbery
Grafter

@bobpullen Done. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. I'll check periodically to ensure my changes 'stick', and if you can let me know at the first sign of a further failure than that would be grand.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team