Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Resevervations for Hub One to allow Apple TC guest wifi

kimbrokeit
Hooked

DHCP Resevervations for Hub One to allow Apple TC guest wifi

Hi, can anyone help?

I have an Apple Time Capsule that always worked perfectly with a guest wifi setup on my old TG router. On upgrading to fibre and the new Hub One router it doesn't work.

Apple tell me i need the DHCP Reservations, Plusnet tell me it won't work on this router. (seems a backward step) 

however one support guy hinted i can get DHCP Reservations on the advanced section of the back end of the router. i just can't find this!

Any help much appreciated, all worked ok before an upgrade, so it must be possible? 

9 REPLIES 9
C1Rider
Grafter

Re: DHCP Resevervations for Hub One to allow Apple TC guest wifi

Hello,

I think DHCP reseverations mean tying the the mac address to an ipaddress, so if your printer has a mac address of 12:we:34:fe:ad:bg and you want it to be 192.168.0.10 that's what you set in your router.

Could be wrong though crazy:

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have a look at this video but as you have already set it up on a previous network, the IP addresses of the two routers were probably different, you will probably have to enter "new Network".

kimbrokeit
Hooked

Hi thanks, i  watched the video but thats the setup of the Time Capsule, i have done that and all works great! However its the guest network i cant setup. I get a double NAT error, so i need the DHCP Reservation, i have asked both apple and plusnet and neither can help, as their support doesnt cover, but sent me here so i might be able to get it? 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

On which device are you trying to set up he Guest network?

I am unclear what you are trying to do.

Can you confirm your old router and the new one have the same IP address range? if not then you will need to change the settings in the time capsule.

kimbrokeit
Hooked

trying to setup guest wifi on the time capsule. 

the time capsule has been reconfigured to work with the new router, that is all fine, apple support did all that for me. the regular wifi works just fine, i am very happy with it. the guest wifi is enabled, but as there is no bridge on the hub one router it is unable to connect to the internet. i need to input the DHCP Reservations in the setup.

So i go to airport utility/network.

Change the router mode to DHCP and NAT 

Then it gives me DHCP range of 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 and asks me to add a reservation. 

thats where i am stuck! I have no idea? 

does that help? 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Unfortunately the Hub One doesn't have a guest network like the Thomson router, it will only issue IP addresses in one DHCP range.
kimbrokeit
Hooked

yeah! But... a nice chap at plusnet told me it is possible! Its somewhere in the back end of the hub one.

i mean why would i upgrade my router yet take a backwards step?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

He's probably confused with another Plusnet router which does have a hidden link to advanced settings.

I do know what you are trying to do as I had a guest network on my TG582n when I was with O2/Sky and I can assure you the Hub One does not have that facility.
kimbrokeit
Hooked

Thanks Browni, massively disappointing, as this is such a backwards step Sad