cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom DNS servers

Beavis_666
Hooked

Custom DNS servers

Why doesn’t the router allow you to set custom internal DNS servers? I run 2x raspberry Pis on my LAN running PiHole to block adverts. The router doesn’t allow the option to set your own DNS servers when issuing DHCP leases as such I have to use the built-in dhcp server in PiHole instead.

Are there any plans to allow customers to set this option on the router itself?
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Custom DNS servers

@Beavis_666 

I suspect that one reason is to make the hub a 'idiot proof' as possible. Most devices allow you to select the DNS servers they use anyway. On the hub one I suspect this is a left over from the BT firmware used as the base code. On the business versions of BT hubs you can select your own choice os DNS server on the Business versions only.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I think it might also have something to do with Safeguard. That works by changing the DNS servers associated with your account. If you could override, on the router, the DNS servers provided by PlusNet then Safeguard wouldnt work even though it was activated on the account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Beavis_666
Hooked

I don’t even have safeguard turned on. I wasn’t even using the Plusnet router until recently so haven’t even used Plusnet’s public DNS until last week. Even then it’s only the router using it as internal stuff points to the PiHoles which in turn use Cloudflare.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Beavis_666 

That's exactly my point about making it idiot proof. If a customer enables safeguard then decides to use their own choice of DNS by over writing the safeguard DNS addresses then they are liable to start complaining about safeguard not working.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beavis_666
Hooked

And that's exactly my point too - if a customer wants to use something different, they're already aware that safeguard won't be used.  Not everyone who uses the internet is an idiot, it's a shame PlusNet feels the need to treat them as such by denying that option. 

It'd be VERY easy to put a bit of text next to the option to say "Safeguard will be bypassed if using custom DNS resolvers" on the DHCP options page.