cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

@OskarPapa Thanks for replying and for chatting to Bob Smiley

When you say working hard on diagnosing any firmware issues - I take this means they've not actually found anything as yet then? Am I wasting my time? I have no reason to fabricate any of this. Nothing posted by me has been plucked out of thin air. I've nothing to gain from slating your routers or the recent software sent to them. I feel like I'm kinda being told to pipe down you idiot (obvs you being me).

I can't give you a timescale as to when we hope any issues (if any are found) to be resolved

Oh. This is rather worrying too. So I had a few 'small' issues with the 5GHz on 259, which got much much worse on 263, affecting both wifi spectrums on multiple devices within my home, including the other YV box that we thought we'd bricked (just a reminder, these YVB's have never had any issues  - with the boxes themselves that is) and this could go on for sometime?

Throw me a bone here - just a teeny weeny one of yes would found something or yes the logs we took highlight something or we're as much in the dark as you or there's nothing wrong, swap back to your hub6 or is there something rather 'big' you've spotted and you're now in panic mode/lockdown?

On reading through your previous posts it certainly seems that we've all the information we need to try and diagnose the issue, so thanks for that.

Huh

Sooooooo, guess the 'plan' is off then?

• I'm supposed to be getting hub (ending in 390) downgraded
  • I was supposed to be testing (on YOUR behalf, not mine) hub390 back on s/w259
  • I was also supposed to be testing hub276 with the s/w263, although it would be the same as any hub on 263 imho
  • I was then supposed to send hub276 back - though you need to look at my data concerns
  • I would then, more than likely, go back to my own provided router, my hub6, which would be the first time EVER I've never used my ISP supplied router

If I don't hear back soonish, I'll pull the plug on your supplied router and go back to my hub6

It would be a shame if I've done all of this for sweet fanny adams.

(nothing aimed at you Owen, I get you're just the messenger in all this)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Hi @DS, thanks for coming back to me.

Not to worry! I'd assumed (more fool me for assuming!) the firmware pushes/rollbacks had been sorted with my colleague @Gandalf, before he went on leave. I can certainly chase that up for you.

If I'm completely honest with you, as we don't have an ETA on a fix, I'd personally recommend using the HH6 as we know there aren't any issues. Like you though, I've never used the non supplied router and so can certainly appreciate your annoyance or (maybe more accurately) bemusement at having to do this.

With regards provided information, I'd been directed to a list of questions and on reading through the notes it looks as though we have all of the answers we need in that respect.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Nah, I think I know who the fool is here Roll_eyes

Anoush (I won't him tag in case he jumps on the forums, we know what he's like) did say 24-48 hours. So by PN's clock it could be November timeAzn

An idea of when it'll likely go 'click' would be ideal, so I can try and prevent to other YVB from going toes up again. As i mentioned, this never ever does this odd 'I cannae do it captain' thing. Most bizarre.

Ok, as soon as it does downgrade, I'll give it an hour or so, just to see if things go back to 'normal' and swap back to my hub6. In a way I hope they do and I would therefore be quite confident that 263 was the cause for me anyway. Answers as to why would be good too.

Yep, baffled as to what the software could have introduced. Still cheesed off about the gaming PC too. We do have it booting now, just trying to gently ease the data from it to a backup drive (already had docs and pics, but not game saves or installed software).

Yep, done the Q&A session already. And all of what I've done is either on this thread or dotted around the forums.

To confirm plan, erm, G possibly? Router ending 390 to be downgraded. I'll give an hour or so, then swap to hub6. I won't test the 'spare' router now as results will likely be the same anyway, but really need to know how to delete the data on it and then it's back in the bag and will be sent back to you.

Thanks again for replying.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @DS, thanks for getting back to me.

On checking our 'Products Whiteboard' I can see that we're still awaiting a response on the firmware changes and on how we can get the logs deleted for you.

Rest assured, when we have the answers, you'll be the first to know.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Shh, but is that one of those special whiteboards, the ones your managers don't know about....?

One side white, other side dartAzn

we're still awaiting a response on the firmware changes

Will a 'the software did this?' announcement be made, as in what it was designed to fix/correct/replace?

and on how we can get the logs deleted for you.

Regarding the data one, I guess you're able to see this for yourselves?

when we have the answers, you'll be the first to know.

Oh fanks, I feel sooo special now.

(as of 21:50, still not downgraded <insert shrug of shoulders>)

DS
Seasoned Champion

By jove, I think I've cracked it

Further back I wrote:

My phone, continues to glitch out, no emails. I have NOT saved the 2.4GHz SSID to this phone, yet:

it thinks it has!! I've split the wifi, different SSID's (shown) and different wireless passkeys

This is REPEATABLE!!!!!Shocked

And I now know what it is.....

The Plusnet Hub One comes with an SSID in the form of (eg) PLUSNET-XYZ, when we split it, the 2.4GHz becomes PLUSNET-XYZ and the 5GHz becomes PLUSNET-XYZ-5G

But that's the problem!!!!

During my recent 'testing' I had split the SSID's to different ones of New Router on the 2.4GHz and New Router 5GHz on the 5GHz, with different passkeys, but my phone oddly saved both SSID's, even though only one was saved to my phone (at the time it was just the 5GHz). The wireless passkey was the same for each except the 5GHz key had 5GHz added to the end of it - so 2.4GHz was abcedfg and 5GHz was abcdefg5g

And that's the advice we always give out, split the wifi and add '5ghz'.

I then forgot all saved wifi networks and joined New Router on the 2.4GHz only. But yet again, my phone is stating 2 networks are saved, one being correct for 2.4GHz and the other 5GHz. How can this be....?

But, if I do nothing to the phone, but instead change the New router 5GHz SSID to 5Ghz only, my phone no longer sees 2 saved SSID's.

Could this by why that iPhone the other day couldn't also connect, don't know as ain't got one to try?

So, the solution, using the default settings, would be to leave the 2.4GHz alone, but change the 5GHz one to something completely different, because if I try (on the 5GHz) renaming it to New Router 5GHz I get the 2 saved networks, but if I change it to 5GHz New router my phone glitches out trying over and over again to connect to my saved 2.4GHz network, but if I opted for 5GHz only my phone connects perfectly to my only saved network and the emails start to flood in.

The other factor is, on a BT home hubs we have to include something in the SSID - eg BTHOMEHUB-XYZ but on plusnet's routers we don't need to put something in the SSID to create a space, thus we can do:

PLUSNET XYZ and not PLUSNET-XYZ or PLUSNET_XYZ (we can tap the space bar on a PN router)

another eg. New router and New router 5ghz was not New-router and New-router-5ghz

(phew, just not sure if this is the why some have issues and others do not)

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hello -ello-llo-lo-o-o

What's happening?

I wrote on 02/04 at 4:33pm

Can we meet halfway?

And

Anoush wrote at 5:01pm

Could you PM me the serial number please?

And

I wrote at 5:32pm

390 to be downgraded to 259

And

Anoush wrote at 6:08pm

Yep sounds good, I've raised that request to our products team.

Should be done within 24-48 hours I'd imagine.

And

I wrote at 6:45pm

Put router ending 390 on the network.

And

I wrote at 6:54pm

Erm, I wouldn't come on ..... It appears the hub is 1 hour out .... Had to pull the mains twice

And

Anoush wrote at 7:01pm

We've not actioned the firmware request yet, let us know how it goes.

And

I wrote at 7:08pm

Nothing could get to the www, nothing at all

And

Anoush wrote at 7:15pm

I'm glad it seems to be working again now though

And

I wrote at 7:17pm

New Router, ending 390, needs downgrade

And

Anoush wrote at 7:21pm

Let us know how the downgrade goes.

And

I wrote at 7:40pm

Will test for until downgrade then test for a few days after that

And

Anough wrote at 8:01pm

let's hope all the issues are sorted before my return!

And

I wrote at 8:31pm

Several outcomes

• This router (390) doesn't downgrade

The above took place on the 02/04/19

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but 24 to 48 hours has long since gone, yet the router is still on software ending 263!!Shocked

When is it going to go 'click'?Roll_eyes Will Anoush be back from China before this is actioned?Undecided

Getting a tad bored of waiting Knuppel

(and still need to know how we fully erase the whole content of the router so I can send my 'spare' back to youLips_are_sealed)

DS
Seasoned Champion

By jove, I think I've cracked it

Nope, false positive :(. Today's continuation failed Huh. Stumped Crazy3

The only saved network on my phone is 'New router' (note no dash between words)

But the loop has started again, no changes at all made

not connecting.PNG

So with just one network saved, it now fails to connect to the PN router, software ending 263

(is this a caching issue, like I thought it was?)

But if I ask to join my other secondary router, it connects immediately without any issues at all

old hub perfect.PNG

However, forgetting the '263' router, reconnecting (manually) it then reconnects.

I can't see this being a phone issue as I don't recall it ever doing this on version 259.

(just need downgrade, then I'm done with this testing, as I'm definitely going to the hub6 from then on, which is a real shame)

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @DS,

I'm sorry that your firmware hasn't been downgraded yet. I've had a look through but I've been unable to see where Anoush has raised this so I've raised this directly to the products team. Please allow another 24-48 hours and let us know if it hasn't gone back to the version ending in .259

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Crikey, prolong the agony why don't ya!!Roll_eyes

(Anoush for the dartboard then, upon his return)

Though

On checking our 'Products Whiteboard' I can see that we're still awaiting a response on the firmware changes and on how we can get the logs deleted for you.

It does look like they may already be doing this, so will one downgrade and another upgrade? Hope notKnuppel

Rest assured, when we have the answers, you'll be the first to know.

Is it worth treble checking it's only a downgrade?

(once I know about data deletion, I'll send the other one back, just reminding so I don't get billed. I would keep it, but has no use as it's on 263 too, and don't want to wait for that one to be downgraded either;))

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DS, I've mentioned over here, but I hope to spend a bit of time next week reading through some of your recent observations. If we can somehow replicate some of the reports of Wi-Fi issues following the .263 upgrade then we'll be a step closer to resolution.

Not the most scientific of tests, but I sat all day Friday streaming content to an iPhone 5S, iPad Air 2 and Google Pixel 2XL from to a Hub One running .263, and encountered no issues similar to those that you're describing. We need to understand the conditions that lead to the problem.

I can downgrade your firmware if you really want me to, but if I'm honest I'd be grateful if you were able to help continue diagnose the issue with us.

If you do want to go for the downgrade then there are a few things to bear in mind.

• It will wipe your config back to defaults
  • Both the .259 and .259.1.1 firmwares have *known* issues with the Wi-Fi drivers that were fixed in .263. Shouldn't be of concern though I suppose, if you're confident you didn't experience any problems running these builds. It would be helpful
  • I cannot guarantee the management platform will not try and upgrade you again at some point unless we orphan your device from it. This would prevent future updates and also prevent us from being able to extract any data from your device.

If we can't replicate the issue then it may be that we'll need to get an engineer to a customer's premises at some point to do some sniffing of the Wi-fi traffic. Unless of course we find a customer able to do this for us? (a Mac has native Wi-fi sniffing capability I believe).

If you want me to go for the downgrade then PM me your serial number. I'm loathe to start downgrading the firmware of everyone reporting problems though, because it soon gets messy and it's not conducive to getting to the bottom of things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yep, saw your reply over there first, thanks:)

I've tried to be as step by step as I can, listing exactly how the router has been set, and the nightmares issues encountered along the way. I thought I'd cracked it until earlier - Doh!

(funny you mentioned PSU on that other topic), the gaming PC here is in pieces too and still finding this laptop ain't quite right running through the 263 router, like something is slowing it down. Just fired up another laptop and it too seems slow. I don't understand why. Guess I could be being too observant, I don't know.:(

The phone, since changing the 5GHz SSID to just 5GHz has been fine on New router (on 2.4GHz)

Not the most scientific of tests

Oh, so I guess you were on the clock and you call it scientific. shh, your secret is safe;)

and encountered no issues similar to those that you're describing. We need to understand the conditions that lead to the problem.

I's baffled. Or my house is possessed. Did or has anyone took any scrapings from my current router? I'm happy for it to happen, hence why most of the testing is only my phone and this laptop.

I can downgrade your firmware if you really want me to, but if I'm honest I'd be grateful if you were able to help continue diagnose the issue with us.

There's means to my madness. As I'm pretty much well convinced something isn't 100% spot on with 263, I was kinda hoping to get the one in use (serial ending 390) downgraded, it would then become a possible future slave router.

I was then going to put router (serial 276) back on (already on 263) and was going to test this one too. Router276 is actually my original one, probably 2 years or so old.

But, if you want me to carry on with 390 on 263 then you may need to give someone a quick shout, as it should be in the system for a downgrade.

(as long as I have either one working on 259 or 263 is fixed, then it makes no odds to me - I want to keep one and return one - or keep both if both are on 259 or a fixed 263 - your call, but let me know what I'm doing)

If you do want to go for the downgrade then there are a few things to bear in mind.

See above. Yep I know what it involves. However, I do know that a 259 config backup loads fine on 263 and guess it'll go the other way (also know it's one config file per router).

259 here, for me worked BUT I only ever used it on 2.4GHz. It was only reports on the forums (about a month now) whereby I reverted to also using 5GHz to test

If we can't replicate the issue then it may be that we'll need to get an engineer to a customer's premises at some point to do some sniffing of the Wi-fi traffic. Unless of course we find a customer able to do this for us? (a Mac has native Wi-fi sniffing capability I believe).

Kinda hoping you do, but if you can't, my door is open. No iMac here I'm afraid to say.

Sat here pondering on what to do, so in addition to the above, if you want me to stay on router (390), running 263, until you either fail (in house) or find it, let me know and I'll keep going.

If you can't see anything with 263, but I still do, then I'll then ask again for a downgrade to 259 (then back to 2.4GHz only) and conclude testing.

Let me know what's best for all of us and I'll do it;)

DS
Seasoned Champion

Don't think it's related, but it did drop

22:06:38, 06 Apr. (356990.700000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
22:06:34, 06 Apr. (356987.120000) PTM over DSL is up
22:06:03, 06 Apr. (356955.790000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
22:06:03, 06 Apr. (356955.760000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
22:06:03, 06 Apr. (356955.750000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
22:06:02, 06 Apr. (356955.390000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE
22:06:00, 06 Apr. (356953.380000) PTM over DSL is down after 5947 minutes uptime
22:06:00, 06 Apr. (356953.380000) PPPoE is down after 5947 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
22:05:57, 06 Apr. (356950.410000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

(was going to post this elsewhere)

DS
Seasoned Champion

@bobpullen This might be significant (read events bottom upwards)

01:13:58, 07 Apr. Lease for IP 172.16.0.65 renewed by host android (MAC d6:c1). Lease duration: 1440 min
01:13:58, 07 Apr. Lease requested
01:13:57, 07 Apr. ath00: STA d6:c1 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
01:13:57, 07 Apr. ath10: STA d6:c1 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
01:13:43, 07 Apr. Lease for IP 172.16.0.65 renewed by host android (MACd6:c1). Lease duration: 1440 min
01:13:43, 07 Apr. Device connected: Hostname: android IP: 172.16.0.65 MAC d6:c1 Lease time: 1440 min. Link rate: 6.0 Mbps
01:13:43, 07 Apr. Lease requested

So at 01:13:43 I connected to my 5GHz

At the same time note it gives a connection speed of only 6.0Mbps (to the router) - I'm 2 metres away in plain sight.

It gives me a DHCP lease time

I then switched to 2.4GHz at 01:13:57

At 01:13:58 it connected to my 2.4GHz

But where's the connection speed figure for the 2.4GHz?Undecided

This too gives me a DHCP lease time

This is repeatable, 5GHz gives a connection speed but 2.4GHz does not, but both give a DHCP lease which is to be expected.

(also noticed 5GHz can show 100Mbps and then drop immediately to 6Mbps, though not tonight, but it's further back).

steviejay
Grafter

Observations.

Although spaces are allowed in SSIDs I would recommend against. Especially as your 5GHz SSID is "New Router 5G" (two separate spaces). I would try the default naming when the PNH1 is reset.

On your iPhones try doing a General|Reset|Reset Network Settings, this will clear all your saved networks. This would be best done when the PNH1 is being reset. I would also advise only allowing the iPhones to connect to EITHER 2.4GHz or 5GHz, not both. Personally, I find 2.4GHz more reliable with better range.

Can't advise on Android as I don't do.

As for W10, I would advise updating to the latest public build (17763.404) and updating all drivers.

I just updated my PNH1 to 263 as I use a BT HH5b (with 5GHz disabled, because of the points above).