cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Hi @ttstoo,

We're sorry to hear you're also affected by this issue and can completely understand your frustration.

Thank you for answering the questions which I have now passed on to the relevant team to look into. Can you clarify if you are happy for us to downgrade the firmware if required as mentioned on question 9?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Gintas
Dabbler

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

@ttstoo did you try to change 5ghz channel? Because after that for me everything working fine
ttstoo
Dabbler

Hi Beyhive

In my case, no, I'd prefer not to downgrade to the previous firmware version, as it will reset everything and I hate messing with the settings.  I'd prefer to wait for the upgrade which must come eventually and will (one imagines!) fix the fault with this current release.  I will struggle on using 2.4GHz until then.

Thank you for your prompt reply, and please keep me in the loop!

Regards

Tony 

ttstoo
Dabbler

Hi Gintas

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure what you actually mean by "changing the 5GHz channel" I'm afraid.  Can you elucidate for me?

Cheers

Tony

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@ttstoo - i believe what @Gintas is referring to is the Wireless channel which your 5Ghz band broadcasts over.

It's a very simple change, that can work wonders! 

Take a look here

Thanks, 

MoR

jammy901
Hooked

I've joined the community simply to echo the problems listed above and to try to keep the matter visible.  The most recent Firmware on the Hub1 appears not to work properly on the 5GHz Wifi band. 

My situation is much as listed by others with rebooting or changing the Wifi channel making it work for a short time (usually about 10-15 minutes). NB. For me, changing the Wifi channel does not provide a permanent fix (tried 36/40/48 ).

I was speaking to a PN Tech for another reason the other day and mentioned it and he appeared to be familiar with the issue if not actually agreeing outright.  I did not take the offer of a firmware downgrade since it is not a huge issue for me, but it really should be fixed ASAP.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jammy901 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing this issue too.

To assist us in investigating further could you answer the below questions?

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

We'll then pass this onto our products team.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jammy901
Hooked

In response:

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?
- Connection to 5GHz wifi only works when hub rebooted /or/ 5GHz wifi turned off then on /or/ wifi channel changed.  Stops working after about 15 minutes with no internet connection.  On attempting to reconnect using a Windows machine, the SSID is still broadcasting, but the result is "unable to connect to this network".  Android 9 just shows "connecting..", but it never does.

2. When did the problem start?
- Not sure, devices all have 2.4GHz wifi so hard to say but I did notice many weeks ago.

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?
- 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 - Last updated 12/03/19

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?
- Wired: Windows 10 desktop, two switches, NAS, TV, Youview, Camera
- 5GHz Wifi: 2x Windows 10, 2x Android (V 5.1 & V9) all capable of 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- 2.4GHz Wifi: printer, sonoff devices

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?
 - One pair of Powerline, switches, NAS, no extra wifi APs.

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.
- Windows 10 devices, Android 5.1 and Android 9 all on 5GHz wifi only.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)? 
- Separated from day 1 with PN (last year), recent problem now with 5GHz

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)
- No, and I don't have the inclination at the moment.  This thread appears to have more than sufficient evidence to suspect the firmware.  It would be useful to know whether PN has actually reproduced the issue and is working on it, even if there is no ETA for a fix.

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.
- Already offered to me when talking to a Tech about another matter but refused for now.  Wifi is not too crowded in my area so 2.4GHz is livable with.

I hope this helps a little more.

Gintas
Dabbler

@jammy901 Try 52 or higher. My all devices working properly on these channels
ttstoo
Dabbler

Thanks MoR.  I had actually experimented with changing the Channel before, and ended up leaving set to Automatic (Smart Wireless) on the 5GHz Wireless. I've tried altering it again just now, but the effect is still the same - no Internet access on the 5GHz Wireless link.

Historically I've been moderately happy with the way PlusNet has responded to faults I've experienced, and until this current issue began everything seemed to be going quite well.  It was only around early March (I think) I first noticed problems with the 5GHz wireless - I'd renamed it a year or so earlier so I could explicitly use 5GHz for certain devices that were close enough to the router and which required fast throughput.  In March this no longer worked.  I was heading off to Australia imminently for my daughter's wedding, so the problem got shelved for a while.  In May, back home again, I remembered it and again tried addressing it.  Telephone support were unhelpful, and appeared to be ignorant of the fact that others are experiencing the same issue and that its occurrence coincided with the release of "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 20/02/19"

I actually have an "old" Plusnet Hub One that wasreplaced when Plusnet attempted to identify and fix an earlier unconnected fault.  I sometimes use this as a wifi range extender at the back of the house, wired in to the back of the current Hub One.   Since the older one does not operate as a broadband modem, its firmware has not been updated so it is still on version "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 15/08/17".  Significantly the 5GHz Wireless on this "old" Hub One, with the old firmware, works perfectly.

There is no doubt in my mind based on my own experience and that of others here in the forum that there is a fault in  firmware version 263 which is causing the 5GHz Wireless to fail to connect to the internet.  What mystifies and annoys me is that Plusnet refuses to acknowledge the problem and give us an idea when a solution might be forthcoming.  Instead they appear to be ducking and weaving, which is not a good look and disrespectful to its subscribers.  Their behaviour is very disappointing.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@ttstoo

The 237.2.2 frimware version was known to have stability issues on some connections which is why the newer version was created to address these. We've offered to roll you back to an earlier version but you've declined this offer, which is perfectly understandable. 

No one is disagreeing that there may be an issue, but at the same time protesting that "Plusnet should release a new version with the fault corrected" doesn't really help matters. How are our products team meant to create a firmware to fix a fault that either can't be fully replicated in a test environment or doesn't have an obvious pattern to the cause of it making it difficult to code a fix. If a customer doesn't wish to roll back and/or take them up on the offer of the extended testing then it delays the issue being resolved because if no one is willing to help trying to replicate a home environment with our team and our suppliers teams to create that firmware then it massively extends a fix timescale. On top of that all firmware releases have to go through a very protracted test and staggered release period which takes time - often months, and that's after the matter can be undeniably replicated. Testing ensures it doesn't break anything else, or leave your router compromised security wise (this would be a different conversation if we bodged out a firmware release asap and then your router was compromised), we stagger releases to catch any possible issues that might occur as part of a roll out that were unforeseen or cause obvious problems in a real environment. 

If we didn't think there was a potential issue we wouldn't be asking customers to answer specific questions (that our products team have asked us to gather). As a side note the amount of routers in homes that are reporting an issue with 5GHz or the 263 firmware is actually a very low amount which makes it even harder to diagnose and resolve.  

@jammy901

Thank you for the information I've passed it on to our products team. 

Again to reiterate we cannot give you a timescale on when this will be fixed at the moment, but the downgrade is available as an interim workaround if you decide to change your mind.  

ttstoo
Dabbler

Dear Gandalf

Since I am still experiencing the same issue, and wish to have it recorded as an ongoing unresolved fault on my service, receive updates on it and potentially some form of compensation (since the feature of dual frequency wireless the Hub One is supposed to deliver no longer works), what is the correct course of action I should take?  Is raising the problem here sufficient, or should I contact telephone support and explain the problem to them again, this time mentioning that it is a "known" issue on this forum, at least, and ask them to raise a job number (or whatever Plusnet calls it) on my behalf?

Regards

Tony

ttstoo
Dabbler

Hi Jo

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  It's very heartening!

As mentioned in my previous post, I have two Hub One's, one of which is an old one that works fine using the previous version of the firmware, the other (which replaced it to identify an unrelated fault) having the latest firmware version will not sustain a 5GHz wireless connection.  I am keen to assist Plusnet in any way I can.  You imply that by refusing to roll back to the older version I am in some way impeding or failing to help identify or resolve the issue.  I confess I hadn't realised this, and still don't understand how that could be the case, but I am more than happy to have the firmware rolled back to 237.2.2 if this is a help.  I'm also more than happy for Plusnet to send someone out to check on my settings and set-up if it might help identify the cause of the problem.

I am puzzled as to why Plusnet is apparently finding the problem hard to replicate in a test environment, when I (and others here) are finding it impossible to avoid the problem in a real-world setting!  I would suggest that the low number of complaints about the fault should not be taken as an indication of its incidence, as the vast majority of users do not differentiate between their 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless, since they use the same name and access key, hence most people with the fault will be utilising only their 2.4GHz Wireless and be unaware of the problem with their 5GHz Wireless.  It is only those of us who have noticed / been told about the faster 5GHz Wireless, and have differentiated it by renaming it in order to explicitly use it, who will have discovered it stopped working after the new firmware version was issued.   And of those, most will simply have shrugged and carried on using just the 2.4GHz Wireless.  Only a few "troublemakers" will have pursued the problem with Plusnet in the hope of getting it fixed.

If reverting my service to the older firmware is a help to you, then yes, please go ahead and do it.  Please can you keep me informed of the progress of this (the reversion / roll-back) request?  And also notify me of any progress on the original fault.  Like most of your clients I'm sure, I want Plusnet to succeed in providing a world-class superfast broadband service, and I am happy to help them do so in any way I can.  But until now I haven't felt this particular problem is being addressed in a professional, concerted manner.  Maybe it's just been a communications breakdown, but either way I feel we should be kept informed.

Thanks again

Tony

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Tony.

I'm afraid we're not really able to offer you compensation on a router which we provide free of charge, I do sincerely apologise that you're having issues though however a workaround for now is to simply switch off the 5GHz frequency. Alternatively there's nothing stopping you with buying your own 3rd party router.

As far as I'm aware, our products team are still investigating this and while we have no reference as such and we are unable to provide you with updates, this is because we generally aren't provided information we're able to share.

I've noted what you've said above to @JOLO and I've passed this onto our products team.

I've also asked @bobpullen to provide an update if he's able to.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ttstoo
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Thank you for your swift reply. I'm honestly not expecting any compensation!  But it is frustrating to read others' experiences here that mirror my own, and see that most responses appear to be little more than verbal <shrug>s!  Sometimes it even feels as though we're not being believed, or that it must be our own fault in some way - despite the issue having arisen for us all at the time of the update.

If we switch off the 5GHz wireless then we won't know it's been fixed, or magically recovers all by itself!  My devices seem to figure out pretty quickly that it doesn't work and use the 2.4, or in my case if it's in range my old PNH1, which still runs 5GHz successfully under the previous firmware release and is hardwired into the back of the newer one.

I've now agreed to reverting to the previous release, but appreciate that this requires some administrative work first so is unlikely to occur iimmediately.

Regards and thanks again

Tony