cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

No worries, my previous post just advised that an Openreach modem should have no impact on the firmware of a router.

I understand we're waiting on a response from our products team regarding the firmware issue you're experiencing.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

And my post just advised if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dahnak
Dabbler

sorry for the delayed response @Gandalf  my answers below:

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?
WiFi connections dropping out on 5ghz, chromecast devices on 5ghz reporting no internet until rebooted, then they reconnect on the 2.4ghz, windows laptop on 5ghz reporting no internet access until router rebooted, then a short while later the same issue

2. When did the problem start?
router was fine for a few days when first plugged in, then router upgraded i think 3 days later to the 263 firmware, then the problem started

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?
Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 10/02/19

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?
On Wireless - 2 * Android phones and 1 * tablet. 2 * kindle 1 * Google home hub, 2 * home mini, 1 * chromecast audio, 1 * firetv, 1 * Chromebook 1 * Windows laptop, 2 * google home max

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?
2 * powerline switches, although removing them makes no difference

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.
anything connecting on 5ghz, some will drop to 2.4ghz, others lose internet access, phones are andriod 9, laptop windows 10

All on up to date software etc.
7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?
i had them together originally, i have no separated them, originally set up some devices to use the 5ghz, but they still had the problem, not currently using the 5ghz, and the problem went away

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)
Yes - made no difference, worked for a while after the reboot, but then the problem returned

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.
Yes
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries thanks for getting back to us.

I've passed this on to our products team now to add to the investigation.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gintas
Dabbler

Many topics about same issue. Plusnet Hub One with software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 not working properly on 5Ghz wifi - when trying connect getting authentication error. For me restart helps for not full day. 2.4Ghz working properly.

Solutions:

1. Use ONLY 2.4Ghz wifi

2. Disable wifi on Plusnet Hub One and use proper AP (Wireless access point) or replace whole modem/router/switch/AP combo to something else

3. Restart Plusnet Hub One everytime when unable connect to 5Ghz wifi

4. Request software downgradge

So... how downgrade software? I WANT MY 5GHZ WIFI

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, @DS reported earlier in this thread that BT customers with 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 reporting similar issues.  Here is a BT thread for anyone who is interested:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-Home-Hub-5-Type-A-Software-version-4-7-5-1-8...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
SCam
Hooked

I registered to the forums just to add my 2p here. I'm a new customer (about 2 months), and besides already having about 10 days downtime due to a line fault (great start...), I was also experiencing this issue. I'm amazed the first post was made in March yet there is still no resolution. Even a short search on these forums makes it patently obvious there is a fault with the router/firmware, hence how I found the solution to disable 5Ghz!

I'm running the 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 firmware. The 5Ghz band has been disabled for about 1.5 weeks and everything seems ok now.

To Plusnet, are we actually going to see a solution to this any time soon?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @SCam, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your connection woes and for our delayed response.

Please let me assure you that our Products Team are working hard on getting this issue resolved ASAP, although I'm not able to provide an ETA on this, unfortunately.

Gintas
Dabbler

I manualy changed 5Hhz channel to 48, restart router and after 7 days uptime devices still working on 5Ghz wifi. Problem probably was that new software with automatic (smart wireless) option not chainging 5Ghz channel even 6 routers around use same channel

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm glad to see that your 5GHz wireless frequency is working OK now.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to let us know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpecialD
Rising Star

Well ....  I got my new router in the post. I removed the old BT Openreach box and connected up the new router there. I then connected the old router to the new router (changing it's IP and turning off DHCP and all wireless - This is for the devices that require a wired connection in the room where the old router was).

This worked perfectly for weeks. I had a look at the new router and noticed it was running the old firmware! (That explains it!)

I've come on to post now after another week has past and decided to cut + paste the version numbers and found that it updated itself to 4.7.5.1.83.8.263  a week and a half ago.

I'm running on the 5Ghz right now, although it is manually set to channel 48 (2.4Ghz set to auto) - So I guess it's not really a fair test. But I'm not messing about with it to find out tbh.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@DS wrote: snipped

I's done. I have nothing more to add and won't reply until such time Plusnet answer my questions I've raised several times.

I know I stated I'm done, but I too have some news, it ain't exciting nor is it to do with the wifi failing, so you may wish to stop reading now.

I never heard back from PN regarding most of the points I've raised, bar 'we have not been able to replicate this'. However I've sussed out how to delete the data retained on the H1 when carrying out a full factory reset, so PN can tick that off the list. I don't see the point in detailing the how to as nobody else has reported this. The only reason for posting is so that PN don't waste their time in trying to find a solution for the data issue.

And yes I know the Social Team are only the messengers, so I can't blame them for the lack of info (unless they have heard back from their PT but forgot to tell me...?)

hallmichaelr
Dabbler

@DS I've given up and bought the Google WiFi twin pack that was on offer. Magically it just works, and I can finally get on with streaming stuff on my TV and not spending my evenings rebooting the PN Hub.

I've also got a PN router that I would wipe and send back, but I assume PN aren't that fussed.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I can't fault you @hallmichaelr for ditching the router.

I didn't have any issues with the BT Smart Hub (aka hub 6) either.

Hopefully one day PN will find a fix and we would then have a spare router that actually works as intended, one day......

(I'd keep the router)

ttstoo
Dabbler

Hi Optimatts

I'm another one with the same issue: unable to connect on 5GHz channel, or if I manage to (after rebooting the Hub One, say) the connection soon reverts to 2.4GHz and again rejects attempts to use the 5GHz. The problem has been occurring since at least late March, but I had to go overseas from soon after I suspected it until May, and I've been trying to pretend it didn't exist since, until this evening!  Others in my household have been using 2.4GHz and seem unaware of the loss of service - putting it down to "bloody Plusnet", as I expect many others are doing.  Not the best outcome in PR terms, one would think, and likely to have repercussions in new / renewed contracts down the track.

After a pointless call to tech support, I began searching for others with the issue, and found this thread which I'm now working my way through in the hope of finding a solution.  Having discovered your post with the questionnaire, I'm answering it now (Q: why am I resisting going to the end of the thread to see if anyone has successfully solved it??  A: It seems like watching the last episode of a boxed set and missing all the plot development!)

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?
 Any device attempting to connect to the 5GHz channel fails to do so.  Some make several attempts before giving up, while others (e.g. my ancient laptop, running Windows 10 home and using a CSR USB Wifi dongle to give 5GHz capability) abandon the attempt after a single try and use the 2.4GHz connection.  Problem found on Apple iPads, iPhones, HuaWei Mate 20 phone, Amazon FireTV stick in t.v., Chromecast dongle, Windows laptops - every device tried.

2. When did the problem start?
 Mid-March 2019 or earlier.

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?
 Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 20/02/19

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?
 See Q1 answer for wireless devices, plus Western Digital MyBookLiveDuo Networked File Server (6TB) connected directly to Hub One, and working normally.  

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?
 No Powerline adaptors, extra switches.  See Q4 answer for attached WD storage.  No wifi access points.

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.
 See Q1 answer for devices.  I'm sorry I don't know the software / firmware versions.  Windows 10 home, latest update (May 2019).

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?
 Separated, which is how I know I can't connect to the 5GHz one.  This whole issue ONLY AFFECTS THE 5GHz CONNECTION - this has been made clear throughout discussion of the topic.

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)
 No, and I'm reluctant to do so as it means yet more faffing about when others have made clear it has not solved the problem for them.  Why should it for me.  This is a fault with the Hub's software version 263, and probably universal across all users.  As such Plusnet should be able to reproduce it without difficulty and solve it.  Why aren't we being asked for copies of the Event Log?  I'm sure this would reveal the source of the issue to a competant techie - instead of attempting to blame the victims your paying subscribers.

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.
This seems to have been done already by at least one other user, and shows the fault lies with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I am brand new to this discussion,and have not yet read through all the posts in even this thread.  Maybe a solution has now been found.  I feel Plusnet should release a new version with the fault corrected, and do it soon.  I don't feel I am receiving the service I have been promised with the Hub One (i.e. the twin channel with functioning 5GHz capability).

Tony