cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

There has been some progress made on this if you see my own thread. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/m-p/164...

Yep I see that now, I'll head on over there in a sec

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hallmichaelr
Dabbler

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

@Gandalf It doesn't help the rest of us though if we can't be downgraded, I've been trying to get this sorted since March and seem to be no further forward. The replacement router didn't fix anything for me, so if I can't have a downgrade then I absolutely need Plusnet to release an updated firmware with a fix. I am not confident that the root cause of the issue has been identified though, so I supposed I'll end up out of pocket because I'll end up shelling out for replacement hardware, or I'll just have to suck it up and wait out the end of my contract. It's not a happy place to be.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@hallmichaelr 

I don't think it is fair that Plusnet aren't telling everybody what is going on.

Now I have some communication with Bob Pullen I will see if I can persuade him  to post something publicly.

It seems like they are aware there is a problem but from what I have been told they are nowhere near even identifying it.

The admission there is a problem is a good start, it's just a shame it is months too late.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Having seen what has been happening on some recent posts, I really don't want to get involved, but it looks like I already am.

So, firstly the wording of my reply above. That wasn't a personal attack on any employee of Plusnet (I won't name her as it's nothing to do with me) - I have explained this to a member of the social team but as of the time of writing this it's not yet been read.

Someone can correct me on the following bit - Nige was either sent the updated software unknowingly or he asked for it. I've not checked which one is correct and so someone can clarify this bit.

He was offered a downgrade of which he accepted it or he was offered one and then stated he'd hang on to wait and see

(please clarify the above - as this is getting out of hand imho)

At some point (from the above) Nige asked for the downgrade again - I should point out other users have been given one and they have stated the wifi then works -  and initially it looked like Nige was going to also be downgraded. This was then not going to happen.

Nige has complained about this, which is perfectly fine (I'd probably do the same had I not got my own H6) and the other topic was highlighted.

The wording of the questionnaire that mentions the downgrade is poorly written (imho) and could be read as Plusnet will give the user a downgrade to see if it fixes the problem (which for some it already has).

So my reply above is regarding the fact that Nige was going to get a downgrade and now he isn't, though as part of the resolution to his complaint he may still get this, but then again maybe he now won't - hence why I wrote what I wrote

I totally understand that rolling back the software is not the right way to do this, but it does appear to solve the issue for the end user. I understand these requests are taking staff away from fixing the issue (if they find it) and that this issue is being taken seriously.

Anyway, those of you that know me know how I roll on these forums, but with some getting a downgrade and others now not getting a downgrade, plus the tension on some recent posts has made me question my continuation of frequenting the forums.

The downgrade should either have never been offered or everyone that asked for it should have had it done. I offered to work with Plusnet but then I never heard back. No I'm not up on the Mac OS so I wouldn't have a scooby doo on using one either.

I's done. I have nothing more to add and won't reply until such time Plusnet answer my questions I've raised several times. I wish Nige well and hope both he and Plusnet come to an amicable solution.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@DS 

Thanks for your support & advice over the last few weeks. I'm sorry that things have got a bit strained on here.

It has been very frustrating for me. Nothing I have said to anybody was meant to be a personal thing. 

Perhaps I shouldn't have shared some of what I have but with the lack of info coming out officially the fact that we shared what we had seemed a good idea.

I was very disappointed with how my formal complaint has been handled and wanted to share that with other people who may have been thinking of doing the same.

It looks like things have moved on a bit today and I will keep people updated on my thread.

Just to clarify, initially I got the upgrade without my knowledge.

I requested a downgrade but had some stability for a few days so agreed to wait in case more information could be gained on the problem. After it failed a couple more times, & with no more productive contact from Plusnet, I requested a downgrade again & that is where the 'fun' started.

I want to bring this to an amicable conclusion but I can't do that on my own without Plusnet doing something.

I feel more positive about what is happening with my complaint for now but whatever action is taken for me I won't consider anything fixed until there is a new firmware which addresses the real issues.

Thanks again, hopefully will catch you again on here soon when things have settled down. Hopefully you will get the answers you deserve too.

Regards,

Nige.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Oh, ok, this warrants a reply (I don't normally back down on a decision), but being as it's you Wink

Thanks for your support & advice over the last few weeks. I'm sorry that things have got a bit strained on here.

No problem at all Smiley

I can understand you venting as I do this myself Wink

If Plusnet read back, they would see I offered to work with them, that I offered to send either of my 'faulty' routers back, that I was going to get a downgrade and that I agreed to not have a downgrade. I also highlighted data concerns with both routers. I heard nothing back. The reasons for hitting the solved button have been answered and had I not have got my own router I'm almost 99.9% sure the issues I had would not fix themselves. Oh and I invited them into my home to see this first hand. They had their chance and now my door is shut - I may now put either router back online and if my connection starts to drop (the router to the www, not the wifi) I will give it some serious thought about using my get out of jail card and move on. The only reason I actually stuck it out was due to my family persuading me otherwise.

It has been very frustrating for me.

Plus me and several others. I get it that we all blow a fuse from time to time and what you've said was how you felt at that time. This should never had escalated the way it did.The problem is for us as customers, they don't appear to be understanding just how frustrating it is. Also they (some forum staff and management) don't use the H1 anyway. What does that actually say about their equipment? Yes it tends to be free (with postage costs not included) for customers but it should work out the box. Those of us that know these routers know that splitting the wifi is one of the first things you 'should' do. Again hat's that say about these routers?

Perhaps I shouldn't have shared some of what I have but with the lack of info coming out officially the fact that we shared what we had seemed a good idea.

Hey, I do the same (though redact personal info and staff names (forum staffers names are allowed). If we don't get any feedback from Plusnet (apart from the usual try this kinda stuff (which is fine) or the Q's they came up with) then how the hell are we supposed to know what to do or more importantly what are they doing to solve this. One user reporting issues, that don't get fixed using the normal suggestions is one user too many.

I was very disappointed with how my formal complaint has been handled and wanted to share that with other people who may have been thinking of doing the same.

I put in a formal complaint once and found it odd that the same team were going to investigate themselves. The problem in your case, which is nowt to do with me, but I'm able to give you my thoughts, is that the case handler handles cases and may not be clued up on technology, more so a router they may not even use. Maybe a more suited employee should have taken this on, but I guess to say their owners (BT) are keeping an eye on their costs and thus some may not get the right level of training. Who knows?

I'll admit it, if the full content of you complaint (including the forum posts) had been read and fully digested, maybe the same 'solutions' would not have been offered to you. If I knew of a way for us (customers) to force the router to go back to it's first software then I'd have told you by now.

We shouldn't need to swap to another router, it should work. I had a connection issue and a router issue and it was getting me rather depressed (I have serious mental health issues, though I try to hide them from the forums), but I'm being honest, it really did mess me up. I became obsessed with fixing it myself for myself (then I'd have passed it on to others, not the depression or the obsession, the fix!;))

It looks like things have moved on a bit today and I will keep people updated on my thread.

As part of the complaints resolution, I hope they do do something that makes you happy (yes I said do do (poop as my daughter shouts whenever I say it) and I won't mention the opposite to upgrade. The problem is some out there have had it and reported it fixed their issues, so of course everyone else affected wants that applying too. Not many of us have time to fault find on behalf of a third party let alone have time to fix their own other issues.

Just to clarify, initially I got the upgrade without my knowledge

Thanks for that. There's been too many others and remembering which one had what is hard. Ah, sorry a few users....

I requested a downgrade but had some stability for a few days so agreed to wait in case more information could be gained on the problem. After it failed a couple more times, & with no more productive contact from Plusnet, I requested a downgrade again & that is where the 'fun' started.

Thanks again or the reminder:)

Yes you (and some others) have asked for a downgr soluti means to get the wifi back and working.

I want to bring this to an amicable conclusion but I can't do that on my own without Plusnet doing something.

As would I. I was going to have one router downgr altered and the other left as is.Then I could have shown the downgr router was at fault.

I feel more positive about what is happening with my complaint for now but whatever action is taken for me I won't consider anything fixed until there is a new firmware which addresses the real issues.

It should never had gotten that far imho. And maybe tempers would not have been how they have been....?

Thanks again, hopefully will catch you again on here soon when things have settled down. Hopefully you will get the answers you deserve too.

Again, no problem and oops, I was back sooner than I thought I was Wink

Anyway, that's me for now. I now want answers from Plusnet (and yes I'm not going to reply until such time)

(or if someone tags me as I'm not the sort of person to ignore my fellow customers, or staff, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to tag me though!!Knuppel Angel)

SpecialD
Rising Star

As a daughter company of BT I think that if you can prove you have this issue that PN don't seem to be able to identify or fix then they should provide a hub6 !! (since they work where theirs doesn't)
 I said I wasn't going to open an official ticket on the issue until I got my new router with my new contract to prove that a router straight out of the box has the same issue....  That was 10 days ago and it's still not arrived....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I said I wasn't going to open an official ticket on the issue until I got my new router with my new contract to prove that a router straight out of the box has the same issue....  That was 10 days ago and it's still not arrived....

Unfortunately it looks like your new router was just added to your account and not ordered. I've put this through now and you'll receive it within the next few days. Please accept my apologies that this was not done sooner.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpecialD
Rising Star

@Gandalf  - Thanks, (trying not to hijack the thread) - I appreciate the honesty that there was a mistake with that. No problem.

All I'll do when it comes is separate the 2.4 and 5 Ghz, then change the SSID and password to what all the devices are currently expecting (assuming they'll all happily then pick up on this).
 I won't be turning the 5Ghz off - it should work happily running. - Then we'll see how that goes.

Aren't there any fibre routers that also do the modem function, so that I don't have to have this Openreach box too?! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem. Any Hub One we send out has a modem built in so you won't need the Openreach modem with that. The only fibre routers we've shipped which need a modem have been the Technicolor gateway and Sagemcom 2704N but this was 2015 and prior. Let us know how it goes once you've received the new router Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpecialD
Rising Star

I've had both of those routers ...  So basically for the last 18months+ I've not even needed this extra box?! Doh!

Oh well, I suppose the bonus feature has been that my line profile hasn't been affected by the number of restarts this hub 1 had to go through?! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've had both of those routers ...  So basically for the last 18months+ I've not even needed this extra box?! Doh!

Twice the power! I think.

Oh well, I suppose the bonus feature has been that my line profile hasn't been affected by the number of restarts this hub 1 had to go through?!

Yeah there's that. Smiley

If you do decide to take the Openreach modem out it may be worth keeping it as a spare for testing purposes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I doubt you'll need it for testing purposes but any method of bypassing router updates would be great to have.

I'm wondering if it has spared you this already so maybe you should just leave it there.

I would.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Using an Openreach modem behind the Hub One would have no impact on how we push firmware updates to a Hub One.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf 

Sorry, all  I know is that my router still doesn't work.

Plusnet made it not work and you don't know how you made it not work or how to fix it.

Anybody with a working router is doing well.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That would have saved us all a load of stress.