cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

SpecialD
Rising Star

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Yes, that's quite long winded isn't it! - So where's this form to sign up to?

I reluctantly disabled my 5Ghz yesterday and haven't had an issue yet, but then a power cycle would stop the problem appearing for a day or three.

I've not logged a ticket as they're supposed to be sending me a new router with my shiny new contract where I've upgraded my connection from a lousy ~35Mb/s on the standard fibre package of "up to 40mbs"  to the amazing "up to 60 fibre plus" !!! - where I get a blistering top speed of 41Mb/s - truly fantastic ...

Edit:   Anyway I jinxed that!!.. it's playing silly whatsits again..  This time my laptop is fine, but the ipad in the house just won't get anything other than a 169 address ... and this is in the logs:

Time and date Message
17:30:37, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
17:30:36, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
17:29:36, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
17:29:35, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
17:28:34, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
17:28:33, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
17:27:33, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
17:27:28, 14 May. (523538.610000) Device disconnected: Hostname: Daniels-​iPad IP: 192.168.1.66 MAC: 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34
17:27:27, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
17:27:24, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
17:27:24, 14 May. ath00: STA 34:c0:59:2b:2b:34 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Could this be a bug with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 or Windows 10 or just a coincidence?

Here:

This will help with our investigations and hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment -

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

(and yes it is dragging along, albeit slowly)

SpecialD
Rising Star

ok - update on my last post... I turned the ipad off and back on and it fixed it (for now)... Embarrassed - how annoying.

DS
Seasoned Champion

It would appear that you're seeing an oddity that I witnessed....

My phone had rightly remembered both of my split SSIDs.

But having turned off the 5GHz, the phone was showing it trying to connect to the 5GHz (impossible)

It appears that the SSID for each spectrum and the passwords being similar were doing something it shouldn't.

It's a pain in the rear, but have you thought about renaming the 2.4GHz (only) to something completely new, with a new password? You'd obviously need to do this via a wired device (though it can be done over wifi), then forget the old saved networks on all of the devices - this isn't too bad for a handful of devices, but would be a long boring task for many devices.

I'm not saying it'll work, but there is something about having similar SSIDs and passwords - this, to me knowledge, was not an issue on previous software releases.

Mine got that bad that even this laptop had to be tweaked via the regedit function.

mltt

Thanks for your help on this thread so far - you seem to be busy than Plusnet at the moment.

Have you heard anymore about the plan to rollback the firmware, it seems to have gone quiet on that front?

DS
Seasoned Champion

If the above was aimed at me then no problem Smiley

I'm hoping their Products Team are busier than me....?

Regarding the downgrade - I really couldn't tell you how it's going as nobody from Plusnet gives us any regular updates:(

At least one other customer whom wanted a downgrade (around 6 weeks ago) was more than likely not going to get this done, but maybe the reasons why may have something unique to them...? I was aware there was a backlog of users waiting for a downgrade and guess by your reply you also have not had this done for you:(. That other user has made a complaint and thus may have the downgrade as part of the resolution...?

I don't understand why some have and some have not - I'd of thought they'd either not downgrade any, but work with us in solving this, or downgrade all of those whom asked for it - but then PN might do what BT seems to have done and ignored it.

If you look back at this thread you'd see that I offered to work with them and it then went quiet - it was only then that I had no other choice but to move to a working router (hub6).

SpecialD
Rising Star

@DS  

I've just had to proclaim my dislike for the solution fix on the other thread.. which is the same as the 'fix' mentioned here...

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Wifi-drops-out-on-Win10/m-p/1639371/highlight/false#M12234

Knuppel - there is no facepalm emojii ..

I've never read on a Nissan forum that someone fixed the issue they had with their engine management system by selling the car and buying a Volvo instead....

DS
Seasoned Champion

Let me try and 'put your mind' at ease.....

I initially marked this very topic as solved, and that 'solution' was to turn off the 5GHz. I did that for a few reasons - firstly so others didn't have to endure my many postings on this subject and they could try turning off 5GHz as a workaround - secondly as I did ALL of that testing (in my own time, using my own resources) to which Plusnet went quiet, very quiet, so out of pure frustration I hit the solved button and was going to move on.

No, it wasn't the right fix, but it solved my problem (as did swapping to a hub6, but this only highlights my devices were not the cause of this as they're working perfectly fine on a wired or wifi connection, plus the added bonus is that my line speed is now faster than ever)

In the case of that topic, I can see the reason why they marked it solved, as by moving to a hub6 their issues were solved - but yes the route cause is far from being solved.

I have offered, several times since swapping to my hub6, to move back to those routers (I have 2 atm) and would be happy to carry on testing WITH Plusnets undying love and affection. But they don't seem interested. I won't confirm or deny, but I may or may not have a note on an open ticket that suggests I carry on using the hub6.

But back to this topic, I now have no intention of marking this as solved until such time every user on here agrees that we are happy with whatever the solution is - though we should be moving forward and not backwards - so maybe another software update rather than a software downgrade.

I'm finding the lack of any info from their PT a little hard to understandKnuppel

(software broke something, software downgrade and the devices work - surely this points to the software - it's not like we're trying to swim to the moon)

zazoupazou
Hooked

Not sure you've logged me as another example of the problem as I have been discussing this on another thread. But worth saying that I've also explained the problem on the phone. I've jumped through all the hoops - changing channels, reboot, factory reset - even had a replacement Hub but I still have a problem with 5GHz connectivity. It's definitely the 263 firmware

This will help with our investigations and hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment - 

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

Wifi connections regularly failing, sometimes with Authentication errors, sometimes just timing out. Ethernet, Powerline and connections to another Wifi gateway on the same network all work.  

2. When did the problem start?

Maybe a couple of months ago

3. What firmware version is customer running ad when was it last updated?

4.7.5.1.83.8.263 - March 26th

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

Around 30 devices, both wired and wireless - Echos, Game Consoles, Laptops, Phones, Tablets, Printers etc.

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

I have 3 Powerline extenders; Some devices connected by 2 x Ethernet switches. I have a NAS and an additional Wifi Access Point connected via Powerline

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

I have split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs and this has improved my situation as devices can now connect to 2.4GHz consistently. Nothing can connect to 5GHz - I've tried dozens of devices.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

They are separate now

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

Yes

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

No

DS
Seasoned Champion

Although I doubt it, did the call handler have any previous knowledge of this rather annoying issue?

(as in the wifi acting up since the software update)

Also, thanks for adding to the list Smiley

Hopefully a member of the forum team will acknowledge you've been added

(and maybe they can answer some of the questions we keep asking....?)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi zazoupazou - apologies for not tagging you, Community won't allow me to do so at the moment.

I've just added your question answers to the products page and we'll hopefully know more soon.

DS - as ever, thanks for your support on this.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

So, just to confirm the level of incompetence we are dealing with now from Plusnet on this issue, this is the response I got today on the ticket for my formal complaint :-

"

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

So we can get to the bottom of the issue please confirm or describe the wiFi connection-you are experiencing.

Please also follow the bellow instructions so you can confirm what firmware you are currently on. 

1. Open Internet Explorer or your browser of choice, delete the contents of the address bar, and enter http://192.168.1.254/

2. When you press "Enter" or "Return", you will see a page with information about your connection, click "Home" at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password.

3. Once signed in please check right at the bottom of the page on the bottom right hand side you will see the plusnet Logo to the left of that you will see "plusnet Hub one : Software version and the code.

Please get back in touch with this code of numbers and dots so we can investigate. 

I have checked this further and our products team are not downgrading firmware as part of a fix.

We hope that this helps but if there is anything else we can help you with please let us know. You can log into your account by visiting your Member Centre and contact us online from there or alternatively our contact number is 0800 432 0200.

"

I will bite my tongue rather than saying anything else here.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post released from Spam Filter and removed.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I'm a bit lost for words if I'm being honest.

<long detailed post reduced as it was likely to get me into some bother>

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Nige.

I'm sorry to see how this has been handled on your support ticket 190145571.

As I type this I'm drafting up an e-mail to arrange for feedback to be passed on to the appropriate advisers.

As far as I'm aware one of the reasons why we're reluctant to downgrade your firmware is because the previous versions generally have issues of their own be it WiFi or DSL issues.

By downgrading your firmware we'd be knowingly moving you onto a version which can cause further problems, however I've posted a question to our products team asking for advice and to see if we can downgrade you on this occasion.

We should get a response within the next 24 to 48 hours which doesn't include weekends.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf 

Thank you.

There has been some progress made on this if you see my own thread. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/m-p/164...

I posted here as well because there are a number of threads all about the same issue and it is good to share the little (and often conflicting) information we are getting from Plusnet.

Regards,

Nige.