cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant iphone/ipad drop outs on Hub one

chunkylinc

Constant iphone/ipad drop outs on Hub one

So today is my first day with a new Plusnet fibre contract... I spent ages setting up and re-configuring all my devices and everything from the lights to the TV and thermostat are working fine, but my ipad and iphone constantly drop out, it happens every hour and then takes ages to reconnect.

After doing some googling I can see that this is a common (and known issue) since mid 2019 - I cant believe this isnt resolved yet, and as far as I can tell the only real resolve (after changing the lease length and re naming networks) it to switch off the 5ghz option (a fix that Im not prepaired to make!).

I never had this issue with Sky (18months) and Now TV (for the last year) and the hub they use also offers two frequencies.

Is anyone else having the same issue? does anyone know any fixes (not including the ones I've listed above?

10 REPLIES 10
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Constant iphone/ipad drop outs on Hub one

Hey @chunkylinc, I'm sorry that you're having issues with the connection. This is common if you have a lot of devices connected - which it sounds like you do. There are a couple of things you can try from this forum thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193, if you give those a try and still see no improvement let me know and I'll have a look into it further for you! Smiley

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@chunkylinc 

is this a Hub One - with a blue light on the front? There is a known problem with these. As I think your Google searches will have turned up, some kit - particularly Apples - can have a problem with the Hub One broadcasting on 2 frequencies.You don't need to switch off one frequency, the solution is to give each signal a different ID. How to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chunkylinc

yes thank you - I tried that, but that still didn't stop my iphone, ipad and smart lights all dropping off the network this morning and then having to log them all back in (oddly enough the iphone didnt even remember the password and even though I input it in correctly, it takes about 3-4 times (of re-inputting the password) to connect... but then again every device as also doing that when I initially set it up.

chunkylinc

HI @Buttercup 

So the router is downstairs in the lounge and is plugged into the main BT openreach socket which comes into the house - signal strength is fine throughout the house, and speed have increased over the last few days (as expected with any new service).

I've had a play with channels, and with splitting the 2ghz/5ghz networks, which make a small amount of difference, but overnight both ipad, phone and tplink smart cam all came off the network and couldn't reconnect (I had to re-input the password - sometimes 4-5 times before the device would finally connect).

All devices were working fine the previous day - could this be a lease issue?

Cheers.

chunkylinc

So after splitting 2ghz/5ghz networks, using a wifi scanner to check signals and channels and assigning channels myself to each network, the 2ghz network works perfectly fine with no further issue.

However, the 5ghz network still has connecting issues - overnight most devices connected to it get thrown off/disconnected and they don't auto connect, they just get asked for the password (even through it is saved from when they did connect),

Adding the password doesnt seem to help either, you usually have to input it 3-4 times (and sometimes you'll be lucky and the device will reconnect. Failing that the only way to solve the issue seems to be to restart the router, which I dont really want to do every morning just so my devices can reconnect...

Has anyone else experienced this particfular issue? Surely this seems like a build (or firmware) issue with the hub one.

Anyone know any fixes for this?

Cheers.

chunkylinc

Hi Dvorak,

I accidentally marked this as fixed (and its certainly not fixed) and I cant see how to select unfix! as a moderator are you able to change the status of this please? (sorry!!).

Cheers.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) 'FIX' removed at OPs request.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @chunkylinc,

Thanks for your time on the phone today. I've raised a support ticket on your account following our conversation, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MikeLewis
Hooked

I have had the same issue and fixed it by using a BT router. See my post on the forum, this may help you

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-Hub-one-intermittent-dropout/m-p/1745600/highl...

Hope it helps, Mike