Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection advice for Fibre router

FIXED
Ausiemate
Dabbler

Connection advice for Fibre router

I received a Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router when I upgraded to unlimited fibre via FTTC in 2013.  However i'm now finding I'm getting more dropouts and buffering, which i think is down to the router.  I am looking to replace the router and BT modem with an all in one, not sure which one yet, and have a installation question which I hope someone can help with.  When the modem was installed the engineer also installed a dedicated line to it. taking a direct "spur" off the master socket.  Therefore the modem DSL port is connected to a dedicated phone socket without a splitter with LAN port connected to the router, assume the socket has one built in or doesn't need one as it is connected direct to the phone line?  My question; if I buy a replacement all in one modem/router I assume I don't need to use a splitter to connect to the phone socket, or would I be better buying a replacement router and connecting to the BT openreach modem?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Connection advice for Fibre router

Fix

You are correct.  Just transfer the plug from  the RJ11 DSL cable that is currently inserted into the BT Openreach modem to your replacement VDSL modem/router.

Personally, I prefer separate modem and router.  Routers without built in VDSL modem are cheaper and wider choice available. However, your Openreach modem is 3 years old and may be liable to fail as it gets older.  Some users prefer single box solution.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've stuck with the BT modem and have recently upgraded to an Asus RT-AC68U router. I'm noticing a far better Wifi signal around the house over my Asus RT-N66U router that frequently showed a lower signal than neighbours BT modems. I was forever having to switch channels when they did.

No more, I have more power Smiley

Let's be careful out there !
Ausiemate
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies and help.  Will exchange router for new one and keep the current set up with separate modem and router.

Cheers

Ausiemate
Dabbler

Thanks for the help and suggested alternative router.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My BT modem has been fine for the last 6 years, 24/7.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."