Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to BT Hub 6

FIXED
gws20
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Connecting to BT Hub 6

I have followed the set up instructions to the letter. I have no Save button when I change the User Name and password but have a message at the top of the screen to save the changes. Pressing connect gives me an Error box. Going back to the previous page does not save the new user name etc. What do I try next?

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Connecting to BT Hub 6

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

@gws20  Welcome to the forum.

Are you leaving the DSL cable unplugged until instructed t plug it in? It must be disconnected whilst you input your Plusnet credentials.

There have also been reports of some hubs not accepting passwords that include special characters. If you are using special characters go into your Plusnet account and change your password to alpha numeric only. You will be told that a special character is required but to date there have been no reports of passwords being rejected due to their non usage.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gws20
Dabbler

Yes I have a $ character. I will change the password and see i that works. Thanks.

gws20
Dabbler

The change of password fixed it! The BT Hub 6 is now connected and working. Couple of points to note

1. I did not have a Save box, simply went to Connect it it seems to have automatically saved the new connection info.
  2. I did not receive an instruction to connect the DSL cable. After trying to connect a couple of times I simply plugged it in and everything connected.
  3. Perhaps a comment in Plusnet information regarding special characters and BT hubs could be helpful.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Baldrick1

@gws20 

Glad to heat that it'd working. In case there's any confusion,this is not Plusnet information per se. I am a fellow Plusnet customer who posted this topic on to Plusnet's public forum for general information.

Further information, such as the special character limitation came to light after I had made the post. Unfortunately there is only a short window of time allowed to edit posts so I am unable to amend the original. However if you read through the pages of replies you will find reference to it.

In terms of not getting an instruction to plug the DSL cable I do not know if you expected the router to flash up a message to plug it in? If so then this would never happen as th BT plc policy is that premium cost BT Retail customers get a Smarthub 6 and budget Plusnet customers get a Hub One. This is a bodge that enables we budget customers to use the premium service device.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@gws20 @Baldrick1  Is the BT Hub 6 working better than the Hub One and if so, can you say how much better?

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

How much better is dependant on how satisfied you are with the performance of your Hub One.

A given is that the wireless range is better. Do you have wireless speed or range problems?

Some Hub Ones are noisy, the Smarthub 6 is silent. Is yours noisy?

There are known firmware problems with the some Hub Ones such as dropped wireless connections, devices dropping off the network etc.  The Smarthub is much more stable. Do you have any of these problems?

Do you want to select your own choice of DNS servers? You can't on the Hub One, you can on the Business Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 Yes 🙂  I feel, that it should be a bit better and Open reach came last week as my master socket was not wired as it should be and that has improved things, but the Wi-Fi issues are still a bit flaky. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Is-there-a-better-router-to-replace-the-One-hub-on-fibre/m-p...

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

It doesn't cost much to try a Smarthub 6 from an auction site such as Ebay and if you don't get on with it sell it on. You will find the setting instrustions pinned at the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 That was exactly my thinking too 😁

My son seems to think the hub 6 might also have a life as a  separate wifi  hotspot if we used Powerline?

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

To be honest I have not had much success using a Smarthub as a wireless access point  You would be better off using the Smarthub as your main modem/router and your Hub One as a WAP if required. See. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385...

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1  Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a plan to me Thumbs_Up