Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to ADSL Plusnet Internet Through Netgear R7000 and Netgear Modem

FIXED
bdog1
Hooked

Connecting to ADSL Plusnet Internet Through Netgear R7000 and Netgear Modem

Hello there. I've been a Plusnet customer for over two years, using the supplied Sagemcom modem/router (2704n) for our ADSL connection. Recently, in part due to issues with the router and a spotty connection, I bought a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router and Netgear DM200 Modem to replace it. Unfortunately, I'm having a real issue getting it to connect.

The steps I've taken:

- Logged out of my plusdsl.net Plusnet account on the old Sagemcom router, and unplugged it.

- Plugged in the Netgear modem to the ADSL filter, and let it boot up. All lights green.

- Plugged in the Netgear router, via ethernet cable, to the modem, and turned it on. All boots up fine. There is a solid light for an internet connection on the router.

- Connected to the router's network on my laptop (wirelessly). Connected, but no Internet.

- Logged into routerlogin.net to reach the Netgear router administration controls. Change the default SSID and password, all fine. Says that I am connected to the Internet.

- Do a troubleshoot (through Windows) on my Internet connection, and am told that I need to open the route admin panel and login to my Internet. Of course! I haven't put in my Plusnet account credentials.

- Go to Internet Setup. Tick 'yes' for 'Does your Internet require a login?'

- In the boxes that come up, add the following:

Username: my_plusnet_account_username@plusdsl.net

Password: My Plusnet account password.

Connection Type: PPPoE

Service Name left blank.

Connection Type: Always on.

IP: (I paid Plusnet for a Static IP, so I input this manually)

DNS: I used 8.8.8.8 for primary, and 8.8.4.4 for secondary (Google's DNS servers, which is what my old router was using)

MAC: Default Mac address.

I then click apply, and it takes a while to apply the settings. During this time, the internet light on the Netgear router goes red, and when I am taken back to the main admin panel, the Internet is now disconnected!

I cannot for the life of me work out what I'm doing wrong here. It seems that in the process of trying to login to my Plusnet account to authorise the router to use the Internet, it is getting upset. 

Can anybody help me?

15 REPLIES 15
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Connecting to ADSL Plusnet Internet Through Netgear R7000 and Netgear Modem

The settings look ok bar the static IP part.

We assign this to you automatically so you don't need to enter it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bdog1
Hooked

Thanks Matthew. Could it be that I need to login to the admin panel for the modem, and change some settings in there? And is it definitely PPPoE that I want for an ADSL connection?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It should be PPPoA rather than PPPoE unless you have a separate  DSL modem connected

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bdog1
Hooked

PPPoA is not an option in the Netgear router. I am assuming that, as I am connecting the router to the Netgear DM200 modem, I do have a separate DSL modem connected?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

My reading is that you are trying to connect via the router. What I think you should be doing is to log into Plusnet on the DM200 modem, which does have the PPPoA option see page 34 of the manual. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_UM_EN.pdf#page34  

Then use the router as a Wireless Access Point. See page 112 of the R700 manual https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf#page112 remembering that you need to connect to one of the yellow LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bdog1
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick - I'll try this when I get home tonight and post an update.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bdog1
Hooked

Thanks for the tip Baldrick! It took a while, but I managed to log into my Plusnet account through the DM200's interface, and then setup the R7000 in access point mode! The router now seems to be working both wirelessly and through ethernet cables r to wired devices. I have two questions though:

- The indicator light for the ethernet cable to a wired device is red: it is however blinking, and connecting to the internet through the cable. I'm a little confused why it is red, however?

- I think the DM200 is still in modem+router mode. This doesn't seem to have stopped my R7000 router working as an access point, however: do I need to set it into modem only mode for some other reason?

bdog1
Hooked

Ah, apologies for posting hastily: I know see that I should have read the manual. The red light indicates the speed of the ethernet connection, not functionality. As I only have an ADSL connection, it is the 'slow' red speed.

Baldrick1

Just for info the led is red because the modem only has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port. It has nothing to do with your ADSL speed.

Moderator and Customer

bdog1
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick - one thing I did realise is that, as a wireless access point, I cannot use many of the R7000's in-built features (such as VPN). 

Could this be resolved by setting the DM200 in modem-only mode, and then setting the R7000 in router mode?

Baldrick1

Sorry, I have had a look through the manual but can't see the setting options in th DM200. Maybe someone else who is more familiar wih the DM200 will pick this up.

It's unfortunate that you bought an R7000 rather than a D7000, which is an all in one solution and therefore wouldn't need the separate modem.

Moderator and Customer

bdog1
Hooked

Yes I've since realised that would have been the better option...

There definitely is a "modem-only" mode on the dm200, rather than "modem+router" - I have seen it myself in the settings.

Baldrick1

Then give it a go, you're not going to break anything, thonly issue might be a lack of PPPoA option on the router but who knows?

Moderator and Customer