cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a TP-LINK Archer C50 as an Access Point - connected but no internet access

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Connecting a TP-LINK Archer C50 as an Access Point - connected but no internet access

@MisterW wrote:

There's a better way , which is to get the Hub one to allocate a fixed address to the C50 and leave it on Smart IP. I can't remember at the moment how you do that and I don't use a Hub one myself.

I don't know about the Hub One but on a BT Smarthub you go to Advanced Settings/My Network/Address Table. Select the device whose IP address you want to fix and then select the 'Always Use This IP Address' field. The Hub One might work the same way.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HashimA
Dabbler

Re: Connecting a TP-LINK Archer C50 as an Access Point - connected but no internet access

Not made any progress at all because I've spent all day stuck in a constant loop of booting up and hard resetting the router, connecting to it (which Windows 7 does fine in the first instance) to change the IP to static 192.168.1.10 , and then being unable to connect after the change because now Windows 7 identifies the router as an unknown network. This is when literally no other options were changed.

As for the advice of the IP gateway needs to be in the same subnet, thanks, and I hope you're right, but it's a testament to just how badly documented these processes are that this is the first I'm hearing of this after days of trawling through tens of articles and dozens of forum posts. Honestly driving me up the wall at this point.

HashimA
Dabbler

Okay, I now finally, after 2 full days of working on this, have managed to get a working connection along with a working gateway at 192.168.1.10 as well as successfully connect both routers via ethernet, but it annoys me to say that if you asked me exactly how I did it I couldn't tell you, and I'm also now afraid of modifying anything like SSIDs or passwords in case I end up in the situation I was in before.

The good news is that I now have 2 networks. I've been thinking of following step 4 here and combining them into the original one, as I think it's meant to result in a stronger internet connection. Can any of you shed some light on whether that'd be worth it?

HashimA
Dabbler

Sorry for the hat trick of posts, but just wanted to report back and say I managed to go into my gateway (192.168.1.10) and change the SSIDs and passwords successfully. Maybe having the ethernet connection between the two routers was the consistency that it needed to make the changes without issue? Or maybe that makes no plausible sense whatsoever, I wouldn't even know.

aliandali

I wish you could remember how you did it! I'm going through exactly the same tortuous process and am stumped.