cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a 24 port switch to modem/router

royleestoves
Grafter

Connecting a 24 port switch to modem/router

I'm looking for peoples opinions who'eve connected a switch to their modem/router. I tried connecting a manageable switch in the past however, after a period i felt there was a broadcast. I'm after knowing the capabilities of these modems.

Are people trunks between the two successfully?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Connecting a 24 port switch to modem/router

@royleestoves - I have a 16 port managed switch connected my router and another 24 port connected to that switch using SPF but to be honest I'm not quite sure what your question is about? Is it specific to Plusnet hardware?

royleestoves
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Mook. It's a few questions in one really. To what degree can these modem/router/hubs be managed? Do you trunk it, can this even be configured? Is it advised to only use one connecting interface to another switch? Or can you bundle as in etherchannel. How have you cabled your system?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have two 8 port unmanaged switches working fine.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
royleestoves
Grafter

Your un-managed switches are still connecting to one broadcast domain as I'm told these ports are hub ports and not switch. You'll likely suffer from broadcast storms as I did, but that depends on your setup. It would lock my modem up every so often.

Hoping I don't have to connect my own router up, but is that even supported by PN

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can’t really provide a definitive answer as the config options will be hardware dependent. And what do you mean by trunking? Do you mean VLANs? If you do then you only want to do this is you have a genuine need for it different subnets can be much easier.

My router is connected via a single Cat 5 cable to the managed switch. All of my hardware that resides in the cabinet (where my router, modems and switches are) is connected to the managed switch, everything else including my Pi Cluster, the LAN cables around the house and to the garage are connected to the 24 port.

Does this help, or even make sense to you?

royleestoves
Grafter

Trunking as in passing multiple vlans for layer 2. I think using VLAN1 for everything is fine(I was hoping to separate traffic). So everything connects to your managed switch except one cat5 cable, that's how I see this working.. (cat5 works as does cross-over i've found) 1GB to hub is more than enough, and can bundle from managed to storage if needed.

Ok, great. Thanks for the input Mook

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were using multiple LANs that needed access to the Internet then I’d configure a port on my router to match the subnet and connect another cable to it from the managed switch.

Also, if you want max throughput on your LAN don’t use cross over cables as they won’t be able to support duplexing. But maybe I’m teaching you to suck eggs here!

royleestoves
Grafter

You can configure cross over and straight through for both full and half duplex., maybe not on the PN kit mind.

Connecting 2 or more switches to a hub? I'll pass Mook. Using the one port on from the modem is probably the best solution. I got free 8 port Meraki poe switch for testing, but will likely daisy to another non poe switch(finding a fanless short base switch with poe aint cheap).

Cheers Mook

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@royleestoves wrote:

Hoping I don't have to connect my own router up, but is that even supported by PN

The Plusnet hubs are pretty basic so that might be your best option. Setting instructions are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

royleestoves
Grafter

Thanks, going to try buy one that will work with PN. Is thered a recommended list.. will try google also.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

If you are planning to have a PlusnetTV YouView box connected to the switch, make sure that the switch is managed and supports IGMP snooping. If not then any multicast traffic coming from the router will be passed to every port on the switch.

I have an 8 port managed GB switch connected to the router. The YouView box connects to one of the switch ports (as do several machines and a NAS box). A second un-managed GB switch (which supports VOIP ATA, a network printer and a couple more machines - all on the desk) is daisy chained from another of the ports.

Multicast traffic for the YouView box  is isolated by the first managed switch and does not trouble the rest of the network.