Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Linksys WRT1900ACS to +Net modem

FIXED
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Connecting Linksys WRT1900ACS to +Net modem

Your Linksys router ideally needs to be wired to a VDSL bridge modem.  The Plusnet Hub One does not offer this bridge functionality.  You can find used Openreach modems made by Huawei and ECI on eBay.  The TPlink TD-W9970 also offers  'bridge' mode.

Alternatively, you can still wire the Linksys to one of the Hub One's yellow LAN ports, but you will need to make some configuration changes to the Linksys to 'dumb it' down, to operate either as a simple wireless access point, or use it as a router cascaded/daisy-chained to the Hub One.

Based on the link to the user manual provided by @MisterW, try this:

Linksys as access point:

1. Log into Linksys router.
2. Under Connectivity, click on Local Network tab > Router Details. Then, disable DHCP server and click on Apply button to save the changes.
3. Connect an ethernet cable from one of the Hub One's yellow LAN ports to any LAN port on the new Linksys.

4. Disable the wifi on the Hub One.

5. You will be able to access Hub One settings at 192.168.1.254, and Linksys at default 192.168.1.1.

Linksys as a daisy chained router with dreaded 'double-NAT' (Not recommended):

1. Log into Linksys router.
2. Under Connectivity, click on Local Network tab > Router Details. Then, change 192.168.1.1 to say 192.168.2.1.  Click on Apply button to save the changes.
3. Connect an ethernet cable from one of the Hub One's yellow LAN ports to the yellow 'Internet' port on the Linksys.

4. Under Connectivity, click on Internet Settings tab. Ensure it is set up for IPv4 Automatic settings.

5. Disable the wifi on the Hub One.

6. You will be able to access Hub One settings at 192.168.1.254, and Linksys at default 192.168.2.1.

Update:  See also @Mustrum alternative solution in next post which shouldn't involve making many if any changes to Linksys.

Good luck

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Alternatively, and its not a recommended way, although it worked ok for me, change the ip range on the Hub 1, choose one of the other ranges, 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x.

Now as @bill888 has mentioned, connect from a yellow LAN port on the Hub 1 to the WAN port of the Linksys, switch off WiFi on the Hub 1.

picard25
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

Just to let you and @bill888 know I am now going to try your solution.I will probably be offline for a week 😉

picard25
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

cc :- @bill888

Bloody hell,it worked (mostly - apologies for language but excited don't you know).Everything running off Linksys sweet as a nut,Can access +Net unit but,although my mobiles/laptop running on Linky I cann not get into it.

After messing around using my mobile got nowhere so,on my PC,I did what the failure msg said - to reset the Linksys - although it had never worked before but,and you know what's comingmit went into Linky setup,d/loaded an update then went into it's 'action' panels.

I've always believed there are always people who know more than I do and I certainly found them on this forum.Thank you for all your help and saving Linky being returned.