Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Linksys WRT1900ACS to +Net modem

FIXED
picard25
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Connecting Linksys WRT1900ACS to +Net modem

I have just bought the above router and connected it via modem WAN port to Linksys Internet port.The Linky internet indicator is blinking white which means it is trying to connect but is not being successful.Is there something I have to do with the +Net modem settings to get the connection?

Both modem & router have been powered off/on with the modem being 1st.

+Net Fibre.

Also I was wondering if the above gets an answer whether it's possible to just use Linky and remove the standard +Net modem?

Thank you for any input and am happy to be told I'm a Dumbo 🙂

18 REPLIES 18
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Connecting Linksys WRT1900ACS to +Net modem

Have you set up your username and password on the router?

There is nothing you can or need to alter on the Openreach modem, which I assume you are still using.

picard25
Dabbler

That's disappointing.According to the Linksys instructions you need to goto their SmartWiFi webpage to set it up but,as the internet connection has yet to be made,that is immpossible.

I can connect to the Linksys router on my mobile/tablet but they are stymied by no internet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

If there is no internet access, that address goes straight to the router:

"HOW TO CONNECT DIRECTLY TO YOUR ROUTER You can configure your router by directly accessing it on your home network instead of through the Internet-based Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. To connect to your router while you are on your home network: • Open your computer’s web browser. •  Go to www.linksyssmartwifi.com and log into your router using the router  password you created when you installed your router. (When there is no Internet  connection, this address re-routes directly to your router.)"

Always helps to read the manual.

picard25
Dabbler

Oh,I did read the manual/instructions a number of times.When I try to access the site on my PC via ethernet I get - see pic.

When I try to access from my mobile after logging into the Linksys directly and opening the website I "Router not successfully setup" and take these steps - which I have done twice with no success.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Then perhaps have a try here https://www.linksys.com/gb/

picard25
Dabbler

Was there when I received your 1st reply.At the moment they want to associate the router with my a/c but without internet access I can not do that.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah, not good, how about trying 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 ? It will depend on what IP range the router uses.

picard25
Dabbler

Just for background I spent my whole career in IT-Mainframes & Networks and have been building my own PC's for the last 25yrs so,as they are still working,I'm not a numpty.This not to decry your help just context.

I had accessed the +Net modem settings but none of the 'unknown' MAC addresses match the Linksys one but I have a feeling that is because both modem and router are not 'talking'.I would love to try and access the Linksys direct but there is no mention of its address in the manual or on website (so far).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There appears to be a manual for it here http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/WRT1900ACS_FUG_ENandFR-CA.pdf

Page 39 for details on how to do a manual setup

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picard25
Dabbler

Your tenacity is appreciated.On a quick glace they still do not give a router address - it's like it's a state secret - but will read tonight and will get back to tomorrow,hopefully.

Thank you for your staying power.

HotwindUK

Maybe I am missing something here since I have never added an ADSL modem router to another ADSL modem router. I thought that you only have to add a router to an ADSL modem router if it doesn't incorporate a modem.

The Linksys router is an ADSL modem router, so why don't you just connect it directly to the Internet instead of connecting it to your Plusnet modem router.

Using an Ethernet cable connection, open the Linksys router's settings configuration page by entering its IP address in your web browser. Mine is 192.168.1.254 - log in using the user name (if required) and password for the router and then go to the broadband settings and enter your Plusnet Broadband Username and Broadband Password. You should then have web access to Plusnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The manual implies that the url 'linksyssmartwifi.com' will resolve to the router itself when there is no internet connection. You can then select manual setup and click 'login' at the bottom of the next screen. I'm assuming that logs you into the router just like you would normally do by entering the router address e.g 192.168.x.x

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

There is something not quite right going on, @picard25 you mention the +Net modem a few times, but to my knowledge PlusNet have never had their own modem - early Fibre connections used an Openreach modem, however, unless its unlocked you cn't log onto it and look at any information.

You also mention using the WAN port, which if as I suspect, you are using one of the PlusNet's routers is as an input from an external modem. Can you confirm which device you are trying to connect your router too - there should be a lable with the model number on it. 

picard25
Dabbler

I used the term 'modem' as much to differentiate from the new router.The +Net 'device; is a Hub One.The current setup is phone line > Plusnet Hub One > everything else to which I want to add the Linksys.