cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect new router to Hub One

hthjones

Connect new router to Hub One

Hi there - Plusnet today said they would give me £40 to buy a new 3rd party router, because my Hub One has been dreadful. 

I opted for the tp-link Archer C6: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c6/

I'm a tad confused as to how this is going to work. At the moment, I have an openreach socket in the wall, which connects directly to the Hub One. There is no modem in the middle. 

I assume therefore I can simply place the tp-link router next to the Hub One, connect the two using an ethernet cable, turn off wireless on the Hub One, and we're good to go? I've seen people in the forum talking about using a 3rd party router as an "access point" rather than a router - what's the situation there? 

Do I need a separate openreach Modem, or can I just connect the tp-link router to the Hub One? 

Thanks so much! 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Connect new router to Hub One

WHEN, WHEN will Plusnet get into their heads that what they call a router is a combined modem/router!

@hthjones 

My suggestion is that you cancel this purchase and get a ADSL/VDSL combined modem/router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hthjones

Got it - presumably with a combined modem/router I'll be able to plug directly into the Openreach socket and login with my Plusnet details on the new modem/router? 

@Baldrick1 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Yes

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@hthjones 

Baldrick is too modest to say but his brilliant guide to using the BT HH6 has benefitted scores of PN users. You'll get one on Gumtree, ebay etc for £5-£15 and it's streets ahead of the Plus One.